How do I remove this embedded stain from bathroom sink?

+19

The stain around the drain won’t come off w/scrubbing pads or pumice stone. It’s a tough stain. Seems to be embedded.

q how do i remove this embedded stain from bathroom sink
  • Judy Judy on Feb 20, 2019

It appears cracked somthe stains have set in.

I would fill the sink with water and add some bleach. Let it set and the stains may disappear before your eyes

• See 1 previous
    • Leah Aaron Leah Aaron on Feb 22, 2019

close drain try toilet bowl cleaner. Let sit for a bit. May put off fumes. Put fan on. May even clean around the metal brush and rinse. Good luck

• Judy Judy on Feb 20, 2019

Vinegar also works with baking soda as a paste.

• Dmholt4391 Dmholt4391 on Feb 20, 2019

I'd probably start by shutting the stopper and using bleach. If that doesn't work then I would try other things in the clean-up arsenal; MrClean, Barkeepers Friend/Comet, etc. Good luck.

• Lynne P. Lynne P. on Feb 21, 2019

Thanks. I tackled the sink basin w/magic eraser. Worked great. The stain just outside the stopper is another matter.😊

• Dmholt4391 Dmholt4391 on Feb 20, 2019

Me again. From looking at it again, -maybe rust remover would clean it up including the stopper. I use 'Wink rust stain remover'. Pretty sure I get it at Walmart.

• Lynne P. Lynne P. on Feb 21, 2019

Thanks. The difficult stain is the ring you see circling the drain stopper. The rest of the sink Intackled w/a magic eraser😊

• Lindy Lindy on Feb 21, 2019

To me it looks like there was a large drain cover at one time. It's pretty evenly round like something sat in that spot and stained or discolored it. You will scratch the shine using a pumice stone on polished porcelain so I don't advise that. There is a product called ZUD that will take rust off of [orcelain tubs etc. Give that a try. It worked in my sons 150 year old house (of course the bathroom was not that old) so it's pretty good stuff.

• Beth Beth on Feb 21, 2019

It looks like the porcelain is worn off. I had an old kitchen sink with the same thing. I was told either paint it or get a new sink.

• Chris ruiz Chris ruiz on Feb 21, 2019

I agree . It appears that the porcelain is scratched off. What you’re seeing is the cast iron under the porcelain. You could try appliance paint touch up. Don’t know if they would carry your color though.

• Joan Stanley Joan Stanley on Feb 21, 2019

I think Beth is right. I had the same problem on the bottom of my 50 year old bathtub. The more I scrubbed, the worse it got! Turned out I had scrubbed the porcelain away.

It's hard to tell. Try closing the stopper and letting Lime-a-way or CLR soak over night. If that doesn't work, it must be no porcelain.

• JoLeen Bolton JoLeen Bolton on Feb 21, 2019

Beth is right. You'll also get the same kind of thing with fiberglass sinks, but the "stain" will look yellowish...its the fiberglass. Any bleach or peroxide products will dull and eventually remove the shiny finish from your fiberglass sinks or tubs, so they recommend using a cleaner approved for use on pvc. I've been so careful to not clean mine with bleach products, yet got the "stain" anyway...palm to forehead, toothpastes have peroxide in them! aarghghg!

• See 1 previous
    • JoLeen Bolton JoLeen Bolton on Feb 22, 2019

I didn't mean that your sink looks yellow...it doesn't on my computer. The ring around my sink stopper looks yellowish because the finish has worn off and the fiberglass is exposed. Because the care instructions said not to use bleach or peroxide products to clean the sink, it didn't occur to me to remember that my toothpaste also has peroxide in it. I just brought it up as a heads up for others who also have fiberglass.

Your sink stain (the crackle looking one) appears to be worn off porcelain. Is that the one you're talking about, or are you talking about the dark ring touching the chrome all the way around?