Stencil and Seal Your Outdated Bathroom Tile

$50

I had prepped and painted the tile in a previous post. I could have sealed it up and been done, but I had a different vision in mind. I wanted to use a stencil to make it look like cement tiles that are so popular. So this post is all about stenciling bathroom tile.

I wanted my pattern to take up 4 tiles so it wouldn’t be too busy visually. I measured the width of 2 tiles and had my stencil made to this size.  I bought a custom sized stencil from an Etsy shop, link below.

The easy part about stenciling bathroom tile is you use the grout lines to keep the stencil straight. I used painters tape on each side to keep the stencil in place while I painted.  

Using a foam roller, I painted with Dixie Belle's Drop Cloth as my stencil color. I poured a little paint on a paper plate to roll in, don’t get too much paint! You can roll excess paint off on a paper towel if necessary. Then roll over the stencil. Alternate sections to allow one section to dry. This was a little tedious and time consuming but gave the best results.

I washed the stencil in warm water every few uses. 

Once completely dry, I sealed it with 2 coats of Gator Hide. I applied it with a brush, working it into all the grout lines. 

There were a few places where the tiles met the tub that needed more attention. I used a small paint brush to touch up the pattern. 

This tub makes a statement!

Blue, black and white for a win! I also added a barn wood shelf above the tub.

Be sure to check out my tile priming and painting post on my blog and subscribe to never miss any posts!

Follow me on Facebook @rootsandwingsfurniture. I share even more tips!

Check out all my project tutorials on YouTube.

15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
15 Perfectly Round Tables
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Jenni Ingram

• Carol

How did you put you candles on the tile?

• BelovedsBride

Could you do this to the tub as well?

• Tina Hill

That's what i want to know too! My tub got etched by a cleaner and i would love to disguise that damage because i can't afford a new tub.

• Finley Rae

What do you do or how do you re-grout the tiles once it’s painted? How well did it stand up to use? We have hard water here, can it be scrubbed once stenciled? I love what you did, it looks fabulous!