Jenni Ingram
Jenni Ingram
  • Wexford, PA

Stencil and Seal Your Outdated Bathroom Tile

$50

I had prepped and painted the tile in a previous post. I could have sealed it up and been done, but I had a different vision in mind. I wanted to use a stencil to make it look like cement tiles that are so popular. So this post is all about stenciling bathroom tile.

post

I wanted my pattern to take up 4 tiles so it wouldn’t be too busy visually. I measured the width of 2 tiles and had my stencil made to this size.  I bought a custom sized stencil from an Etsy shop, link below.

The easy part about stenciling bathroom tile is you use the grout lines to keep the stencil straight. I used painters tape on each side to keep the stencil in place while I painted.  

post

Using a foam roller, I painted with Dixie Belle's Drop Cloth as my stencil color. I poured a little paint on a paper plate to roll in, don’t get too much paint! You can roll excess paint off on a paper towel if necessary. Then roll over the stencil. Alternate sections to allow one section to dry. This was a little tedious and time consuming but gave the best results.

I washed the stencil in warm water every few uses. 

post

Once completely dry, I sealed it with 2 coats of Gator Hide. I applied it with a brush, working it into all the grout lines. 

There were a few places where the tiles met the tub that needed more attention. I used a small paint brush to touch up the pattern. 

This tub makes a statement!
This tub makes a statement!

Blue, black and white for a win! I also added a barn wood shelf above the tub.

Be sure to check out my tile priming and painting post on my blog and subscribe to never miss any posts!

Follow me on Facebook @rootsandwingsfurniture. I share even more tips!

Check out all my project tutorials on YouTube.

Jenni Ingram

• Sheron Sweitzer

I have an old claw foot tub and the walls on most tubs still leave large gaps at corners where mine is more curved. Any suggestions??

• Pati
    Yesterday

How do make Christmas ornaments from sheet music?

• Beverly
    3 hours ago

HOW TO MAKE NECKLACE OUT OT MENS TIE

• Minerva

Love the idea you have to change the look on the tiles. I want to change the look on my bathroom tiles too.Thanks

• Jojo Snow

Usually when I see this kind of thing on hometalk, it turns out looking pretty rough, IMO. But this looks really charming. I'm impressed, in a good way. Nice job!