Can I paint or stain the hardware on my front door?

+4

Flipping my parent's house (I call it that because I am a complete amateure ). I love the house & I don't want it to look cheap... but as with most things $ or in short supply. The hardware on the front door looks  but new hardware is very expensive. Is there a ware to bring the old back to life?

q can i paint or stain the hardware on my front door
  • Laura Cooper Laura Cooper on Feb 22, 2019

You can boil the hardware. This should refresh the original finish

• Jan Clark Jan Clark on Feb 22, 2019

You'll need to prep the hardware before you paint. Find a product that will dissolve paint (it'll be caustic, so follow the instructions!). Then, the fun begins. Choose a color and finish of paint you like (spray or brush, whichever you feel more comfortable using). Metal tones are everywhere - so spend the extra and make it look fabulous. Then, just to be safe, use and exterior grade finish to keep the project from abuse by UV sunlight. Some paints even have that included. Just read the labels. You'll be an expert in no time!

• Laura Cooper Laura Cooper on Feb 23, 2019

Cindy, please don't use any strong chemicals on your antique hardware. I think you will appreciate this article. https://thecraftsmanblog.com/how-to-remove-paint-from-hardware/

• Mona Blake Mona Blake on Feb 24, 2019

Best to clean the old hardware with vinegar and then polish with toothpaste and a toothbrush. Seal them and then paint them. I have done this many times and they turn out beautiful!

• Chris Gignac Chris Gignac on Feb 26, 2019

Your hardware looks like brass they had at one time had some kind of a coating on it. You need to strip the coating, polish the brass, spray it with clear lacquer it’ll look brand new.

• William William on Feb 26, 2019

You can spray paint it. If you can remove it the better. If you can't remove it just tape off what you don't want painted with blue painters tape and newspaper. Use a green kitchen scrubby to scuff up the surface. Use Rustoleum spray paint for metal. Several light coats will get you a smooth finish.