Project Koi Pond

$200

Recently moved and have an existing pond that I need to relocate. I have some Koi that I’ve raised from babies and not ready to part with, I also enjoy watching and listening to the water flow in the evening after a hard days work.

project koi pond

Since my close friend had access to a backhoe, I had him dig out the deeper part of the pond. You can do by hand just takes longer. I then began to dig out the rest of the pond. I wanted a shallow area for placing plants, etc.

project koi pond

I placed the liner and filled with water. I used bricks to temporarily hold the liner in place. I took another Hometalkers advice and went inside to view the pond from a window to be sure I was happy with placement.

project koi pond

Placed flat rock around liner an prepared it for fish, plants, water filters. I recommend at least a 20mil liner, I started with one of lesser quality and quickly regretted and ordered a replacement.

project koi pond

Added some plants and a brick border. Installed water filters and added water Lillie’s and a few floating hyacinth. Added the Koi and a little blue dye to help with algae control.

project koi pond

I added some solar lights so that I could enjoy in the evening.

I am happy with the result, I lost only a few fish that flopped out while getting the new liner in. Can be customized to fit your space, I ended up with about a 1500 gallon pond. I wanted the middle deep enough for the Koi to cool off in hot summer weather.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

The Koi seem happy in their new pond

• Guest

Does it have to be a specific distance from the house as to not affect a foundation shift guessing depth would increase distance needed away

• Michael Scott

I did a little research and it seems to be ok for pool or pond to be a few feet from the house if using a liner. A natural pool or pond would cause problems, Hope this helps.

• Pearl fortney

How do you Keep the water from stagnating.

• Dixie

You need a small pump which includes a filter. It keeps all the junk contained and then you just pull out the filters and wash them with a hose to get all the material removed. Without too many plants, you also need an anti-algae substance which you can buy at the pet store.

• Michael Scott

I have 3 pumps and 3 filter boxes. I have to clean them every few days to keep clear.

• Pat

You mentioned blue dye to control algae? How does that work and what kind/brand do you use?

• Cinstol

It's called Methylene Blue and its used in aquariums to prevent fungus, parasites and an antiseptic. Use it to keep your fish healthy and free of diseases. It can be found at Wal-Mart, Pet Smart and all aquarium stores.

• Michael Scott

Pond logic pond due, doesn’t take much.

• Mary

You can control algae with pond plants. Long term the blue dye is bad for fish.

• Char

Beautiful out son’s family had a koi pond at their last home but five small children not safe. Their koi were orange. Is it the lighting or are yours a beautiful blue green color?

• Michael Scott

I have an assortment, mosty white with orange and black spots but I have one yellow butterfly Koi, the lighting and dye do make them look different in pics.

• Terry Thomas

How do you protect your Koi in the winter months? Does the pond freeze over?

• Jane Doe

Due to cold, the fish go into kind of a hibernation mode. They swim very slowly but can tolerate the cold. My pond freezes over in the winter, the fish are OK. Be sure you know when to feed them and when not to. During the cold months, they don't require food.

• Paula Bois-Brady

I kept a goldfish (feeders) pond in full use through New Hampshire winters for seven(7) years by placing a lift tube with a small spray head on it. As the temperature dropped the splashing of the droplets created a dome. I made sure there was a small opening for air exchange and topped off the water level as needs. Bye the way,my goldfish where natural iced do they lived off of the algae that lined the pond. I didn't know if it would work the first winter but it was a success. I don't know if it will work for you. But I think I've seen pictures of koi in winter in Japanese ponds. Give it a try.

• Michael Scott

My pond does freeze, but normally only the top few inches. I keep the water flowing and this normally leave some of the surface unfrozen. They tend to stay at the bottom of the pond which is 48 inches in deepest part. I haven’t lost any fish due to cold weather.

• Donna Helmick

We always paced a piece of wood in ours in the winter. Somehow keeps from freezing solid.

• Robyn Garner

My Dad had a koi pond in Buffalo, NY and left the fish out overwinter. He laid 2 x 4's across the top with chicken wire over that to keep predators out and maintain an open area for the pond (mostly for us to see it and not fall in!) He had gotten tired of moving the fish into the basement in garbage cans and trying to maintain them all winter. And, it was gross!

When the weather gets down to freezing, they goldfish/koi go into a type of suspended animation. You do not feed when they are not moving.

What a good decision it turned out to be. The only time we really had a big fish loss was when we marauded by a raccoon! Murder and Mayhem!

• Yvette Chidester Scott

As long as there is a hole in the ice for gases to escape, they will hibernate and winter over just fine. (Assuming the pond doesn't completely freeze.) Having a deeper section usually keeps this from happening. I put a trough heater in mine during the winter and it keeps a good hole melted. Pond heaters are more expensive and a trough heater works just as well.

• Erin

How do you keep the hunters out of your pond?

• Barb C

Love little ponds and water features.

How does blue dye help with algae control? Thanks.

• Michael Scott

It shades the water and helps keep algae from building up. Also frequent filter cleaning, every day or two will keep water clear so you can see fish. Place pond in part shade or plant something that will provide some shade. I have a few banana trees but they aren’t growing as fast as I would like.

• Denise Gordondmith

I have it in my pond no algae

• Eyda hernandez

Fantastic Idea and so easy to personalize with different themes! I will definitely try it at my new home!! Thank you for sharing!!

• Tina

You may want to research "water hyacinth. It's an invasive species and not health and environmental friendly.