Lynnette Soltwedel
Lynnette Soltwedel
  • Tutorial Team
  • Spartanburg, SC

Dry Brush Painting Technique

$10

I learned the dry brush technique many years ago when I painted ceramics. Who knew that all these years later, I would apply that knowledge to furniture projects! I have done this on a few projects now, and I never really get into the detail of the process. So, here is a little tutorial for how to dry brush paint. For this tutorial, I will be working with a wooden appliqué. I generally use these appliqués to enhance a furniture piece. I have a couple of posts that show how I use these appliqués on furniture.

dry brush painting technique

Here is a darling appliqué I ordered from a amazon. Okay, I MAY have a problem with Amazon shopping. 🤷‍♀️ we pretty much receive packages daily...prime member extraordinaire.

dry brush painting technique

Base coat! Whatever color your heart desires. Here I am using a basic flat black. Chalk paint adheres best to flat, satin finish is okay, but gloss is hard to work with. I can state that I have NOT attempted to dry brush over a glossy finish.

Okay, here is my attempt at a video tutorial! (see video at the top of the post) It was my first time trying to do this. Pretty sure it would have worked much easier with a second pair of hands to do the recording. Anyway, let me know what you think. If you have any questions on how this technique works, fire away! I will do my best to answer and in a timely manner. I love the finished look of dry brushing, and use it on appliques to enhance certain project pieces. I use the Waverly brand stencil brushes for this...I have found that the round brushes work best.

dry brush painting technique

I went ahead and did the whole piece so you could get a better idea of what a finished piece would look like.

dry brush painting technique

Here is a previous post of mine (https://www.hometalk.com/28159959/darling-writing-desk) where I applied a dry brushed applique to the top! This is a great way to embellish a piece of furniture.

dry brush painting technique

Here is a closer look! The sunburst I added to this project really gave the project a little something extra.

To see more: https://www.hometalk.com/28159959/darling-writing-desk

• Garnet

Do you wax the finished product to protect it?

• Lynnette Soltwedel

You do need to seal it! I usually go with poly because wax is such a pain...my appliqués end up in pieces of furniture so I seal them after they are attached with whatever product I am dealing the whole piece with. 😊