Dry Brush Painting Technique

$10

I learned the dry brush technique many years ago when I painted ceramics. Who knew that all these years later, I would apply that knowledge to furniture projects! I have done this on a few projects now, and I never really get into the detail of the process. So, here is a little tutorial for how to dry brush paint. For this tutorial, I will be working with a wooden appliqué. I generally use these appliqués to enhance a furniture piece. I have a couple of posts that show how I use these appliqués on furniture.

Here is a darling appliqué I ordered from a amazon. Okay, I MAY have a problem with Amazon shopping. 🤷‍♀️ we pretty much receive packages daily...prime member extraordinaire.

Base coat! Whatever color your heart desires. Here I am using a basic flat black. Chalk paint adheres best to flat, satin finish is okay, but gloss is hard to work with. I can state that I have NOT attempted to dry brush over a glossy finish.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
Step by step

Okay, here is my attempt at a video tutorial! (see video at the top of the post) It was my first time trying to do this. Pretty sure it would have worked much easier with a second pair of hands to do the recording. Anyway, let me know what you think. If you have any questions on how this technique works, fire away! I will do my best to answer and in a timely manner. I love the finished look of dry brushing, and use it on appliques to enhance certain project pieces. I use the Waverly brand stencil brushes for this...I have found that the round brushes work best.

I went ahead and did the whole piece so you could get a better idea of what a finished piece would look like.

Here is a previous post of mine (https://www.hometalk.com/28159959/darling-writing-desk) where I applied a dry brushed applique to the top! This is a great way to embellish a piece of furniture.

Here is a closer look! The sunburst I added to this project really gave the project a little something extra.

The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
15 Memorial Day Crafts
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes

To see more: https://www.hometalk.com/28159959/darling-writing-desk

• Garnet

Do you wax the finished product to protect it?

• Lynnette Soltwedel

You do need to seal it! I usually go with poly because wax is such a pain...my appliqués end up in pieces of furniture so I seal them after they are attached with whatever product I am dealing the whole piece with. 😊

• Carol de la Fuente

So beautiful!!! Great video and I love your applique!!! Is chalk paint what you used for the dry paint??? I missed that if you have already stated. Sorry!!! Beautiful work!!!