How to Upcyle With Spare Wallpaper

$30

Not happy with the tv unit I used some spare wallpaper to give it a more feminine look.

how to upcyle with spare wallpaper

The top picture is the original unit.

Bellow is the new improved version.

Firstly I removed the handles. Sanded down the doors and gave them a good clean.

Next I used modge podge glue to cover the door and smoothed the paper over the top making sure there are no bubbles.

I went over the edges to secure the paper down on the door.

I used a kitchen utensil to smooth it down (pictured Below)

Paper goes over the edges.
Paper goes over the edges.
Kitchen utensil.
Kitchen utensil.

The kitchen utensil used has a soft edge so it doesn't damage the paper. You could use a brush instead.

New handles
New handles

Coat the paper in more glue to seal it. Made sure you go around the edges to prevent the edges peeling away.

I replaced the handles. I did this once the top coat had fully dried. Unfortunately the original holes were not the right size.

how to upcyle with spare wallpaper

As I used left over paper I didn't have enough to match up the pattern. From afar it's not really noticeable as it's a busy pattern and was only on the 2 smaller doors.

If you have more paper you may want to line up the pattern.

Completed and styled
Completed and styled

• Kitty

can you paint over wall paper?

• Natasha|Revamp_interior

I wouldn't advise it painting over the glue as it wouldn't stick. You could paint the paper before you seal it with the glue.

Or did you just want to paint the unit you have and not paper it. I could write about one I've painted if that would help?

• Debra McMenamin

Beautiful

• Gabrielle Falk

Wonderful re-vamp. I have some yellowing pine furniture in the bedroom - still in very good 'nick'. I was wanting to try and update it, or buy new, but all the new furniture is not the style I'm after (French Provincial type of style). Do you think contact paper would be a suitable alternative to wallpaper? I've tried wallpapering a couple of times, and got more glue on me that the furniture! And should I tuck the paper around the corners of the drawers. Then I could change the knobs (also pine) to something like a crystal type of knob. I don't want to stuff up the furniture I already have, and contact paper seems the lesser of two evils!!  Thanks in advance. Sincerely, Gabrielle.

• Natasha|Revamp_interior

Yes you could you anything. I've used fabric before. As long as you sand first, clean and then seal it with glue you should be fine