Trunk Update With Chalk and Salt Wash Paint

$15

Had a trunk that I wanted to use and give an updated look. I wanted it to look completely different so that I may actually be able to use somewhere with my existing decor. Check out how I gave it an awesome new look!

I decided that I would first paint it with chalk paint, then try a salt wash paint over for a natural worn look.

I painted trunk with chalk paint using small paint brush. I painted the metal lock and closures with gun metal acrylic paint.

Once it was dry I began adding the white salt wash paint with a brush. I went over it lightly and watered down some of the paint to go over the gun metal parts.

Once it was dry I took fine sand paper and sanded lightly by hand to achieve a worn look. Once I was happy I added a coat of clear wax to protect the finish.

I placed it near the front doorway and added some accessories. I am much happier with how it looks now.

I hope you like it!

• The top coat of wax is not listed on our materials. What brand did you use?

• Thea

Looks amazing. I have a metal steamer trunk that is around 110-115 yrs old that I would like to do this to. It has dark green paint on it from a bad paint job from 25 years ago. What would be the best way to get rid of the green?

• Dottie

Wished the hardware had been left dark. Agree with Michael about the color,

• Joanie

When my Daddy died I have know Idea what happened to his W.W.11 trunk, Foot locker.......If I had it......I would paint it a dark or camoflauge in his honor. God Bless America.!!