How do I make burp cloths?

+4

I am interested in making burp cloths. I have a pattern but it doesn't tell me if I am supposed to put something in between the top and bottom layer. It seems to me that the two layers of flannel is not enough. Flannel is recommended by the pattern but it seems to me that it needs to be thicker. I would appreciate any information you have on burp cloths.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Feb 25, 2019

My mother puts a washcloth between the layers on burp cloths. It holds up much better than batting in the wash.

• Dfm Dfm on Feb 25, 2019

most burp clothes i've used are a cotton diaper, very absorbent. use a cotton batting found at sewing stores, use the thinnest one you can find.

• Sharon Sharon on Feb 25, 2019

How about 1 layer flannel, backed w terrycloth?

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Feb 25, 2019

We used to use a cloth diaper, which was absorbent but, not waterproof. One I made for my granddaughter, when she was a baby, had a layer of terrycloth (like a washcloth or hand towel. Hope that helps.