How can I 'round out' a stemware base that has chips?


I found a lovely, small crystal candle holder on a stem - Waterford no less but there are 2 chips in the base. The rest of it is completely solid, no imperfections. I seem to remember seeing somewhere that you can do a minor repair with glue but don't remember if it's hot glue, super glue or whatever. Am not finding what I need on line. Any suggestions? TIA.

  6 answers
  • 2dogal 2dogal on Feb 25, 2019

    Id use a Dremel and grind out the chips. Practice on a cheap drinking glass first. Work slow and you can do it.

    • Ticia Ticia on Feb 28, 2019

      Since I don't know how to edit that post - I don't think I was clear in my post above but what I want to do is 'fill in' where there is a chip on the base of the stem ware. 1 chip is on the edge and the other is underneath the base so I think something can be done with some kind of glue or soft plastic. That's what I 'm looking for

  • Pamela Pamela on Feb 25, 2019

    I've been told you can use fine sand paper gently on it to smooth the edges.

  • William William on Feb 27, 2019

    Try using an emery board to sand the chip edges.

  • Ticia Ticia on Feb 28, 2019

    see reply above

  • Pamela Pamela on Feb 28, 2019

    If you want to fill in the space rather than just smooth it, would a dab of hot glue work?

    • Ticia Ticia on Feb 28, 2019

      That's what I'm wondering and if anyone has ever done that?

  • Gail Rendle Gail Rendle on Feb 28, 2019

    I have to wonder about those glass-blowers that you see at the County Fairs and such - they use a small (acetylene?) torch. You might find one of these people and ask whether they could do something to fill rather than just smooth the edges of your glassware. There would be a cost, of course. And perhaps some jewelers or high-end glassware dealers would have information on a compound that would do the job for you. Pretty glassware is lovely to find, I wish you luck!

Your comment...