Can I adjust the color of a pre-ordered canvas print?

+7

Hi!

This might be one of the dumbest questions asked but here goes :

I ordered 2 canvas prints (the kind they make from a pic you upload). I had them done in black and white and they're awful. I should have gone with sepia. Is there anything I can do to give them a sepia tint? I'm willing to try anything, even watered down brown shoe polish, lol, because I hate them the way they are. Also, since I'm going to mess with them anyway, any ideas of how to make them mixed media? I'm no artist, but I think that's the word. Many thanks 😊!

q can i adjust the color of a pre ordered canvas print
  • My vote is for a coffee or tea stain. That will sort of give you the sepia tone. Try and test on an edge to see how dark it comes out. You can always go darker but not lighter, so apply in layers making sure to let dry well in between so you don't over do it.

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Feb 25, 2019

You can do sorta like acwhite wash with thinned down oil based brown paint. Thin to your consistency of your liking, with paint thinner, then coat your pictutres. Good luck.

• Lynn Sorrell Lynn Sorrell on Feb 25, 2019

coffee or tea stain

• William William on Feb 26, 2019

Go with Naomie and Lynn. Shoe polish is solvent based. Won't mix with water. Bad results anyway. Same problem with paint. Better control on depth of tone with coffee or tea.

• Millie Millie on Feb 26, 2019

I would not add any water based product, as the ink they are printed with could run and the paper could warp , plus the black ink might mix with whatever color you apply making it muddy.

Instead, put the image files in Photoshop for example and make your changes there. Then any print shop, Wal Mart, etc. can re-print them for you.

• I would use burnt umber acrylic in a tube thinned with a lot of water. Wipe on, wipe off till you love the sepia tone!

• Della Tompkins Della Tompkins on Feb 26, 2019

Can you cover with sheer colored fabric or paper to match your decor?

• Carolinagirl Carolinagirl on Feb 26, 2019

I'm not sure about this but here is an idea. Why not cover with ModgePodge, Then use any color you choose. In addition, can you contact the company and ask them about the ink they used and if it could possibly smear if applying ModgePodge.

• SusieQ SusieQ on Feb 26, 2019

You can buy sepia toner at a photographic store.

• Lisa Lisa on Feb 27, 2019

Wow! Thank you all so much for the incredible advice! I will definitely post the pictures after I decide what road to take. You guys rock👍!