How do I approach a neighbor about her shedding tree?


My next door neighbor has a shedding tree of some kind that has limbs overhanging in my driveway - significantly. I’m always sweeping the needles it drops. When I cut one limbback to her property line, she came out and got hostile. I live in Texas and I thought property owners could remove limbs that hang over well into your property from a neighbor. Please help. Tired of sweeping.

  7 answers
  • Honestly just get over it. You should not cut branches off anyone elses tree without permission even if it is legal. Embrace the needles. Nature happens.

  • Lynn Sorrell Lynn Sorrell on Feb 26, 2019

    Maybe just maybe should have used a little tact and approached her before you cut the tree explaining that it's getting all over your vehicle and you don't want it to break on top of your vehicle during storm & she might/would have to possibly pay insurance deductibles for damages occured. That you are willing to help her & cut tree & dispose of green waste. That would be a lot less passive/aggressive. Contact the city that's what they do handle stuff according to city code no direct problems with neighbors ; if code says she's wrong or trees cannot overhang property they will warn her with warning citation, then fine her, then further proceedings could occur if she gets "hostile"(not sure what that means) call police. We all/everyone just need to be nicer since we live in neighborhoods practically on top of one another.

    • Liz Liz on Feb 27, 2019

      I need to reinforce - this is not a lovely old oak tree that provides shade and character. It’s a spiny weak pine tree not native to the Texas coast. And it’s spindly limbs clog my rain gutter w the detris. Cutting its limbs will not kill or harm the tree.

  • Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Feb 26, 2019

    Check your local ordinances to see what your rights are then proceed. If you have the right to cut it off your property, consult with her first. If you do not, then ask her to consider doing something about the issue. You can get an electric leaf blower and blow them back onto her property. But the bottom line is this: you have to live next door to this person so is it worth it?

    • Liz Liz on Feb 27, 2019

      Love the leaf blower idea. I have talked to this woman. I funded the fence that this tree knocked over during hurricanes. I’m not ‘that’ neighbor.

  • Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on Feb 26, 2019

    I believe that your local municipality should be able to help. I understand why you're having a problem with this, we have a long row of severely over grown shrubs along our property line. My husband cuts them back about every 3rd week in the summer. If he doesn't, they hang over the 5 foot fence and are in our face when we walk between the fence and house (there's only about 3 1/2 feet). Although, our neighbor doesn't have a problem with it. I would try to talk to this neighbor and try to get her to understand the problems her tree is causing. You could offer to have it trimmed so it doesn't hang over your property line (that is your right). If she's that unreasonable, then definitely contact the authorities. Since she's that bad of a neighbor, why worry about making her angry. Don't listen to the one saying to get over it, that's easier said than done when you have to constantly deal with the junk from the tree. Some trees are especially dirty and this sounds like one.

  • Chris Gignac Chris Gignac on Feb 26, 2019

    I have to agree, for the sake of your neighborhood and your relationship with your neighbors it is always best for the two of you to get together and come up with some kind of plan that works for everyone.

    Of course, if that’s a bust then you must contact the municipalities to help you find a solution.

    • Liz Liz on Feb 27, 2019

      I’ve tried. It’s rental property I own. I wouldn’t live next to this woman. The neighborhood I live in is pretty cool and we respect each other. No hOA needed.

  • Chris Gignac Chris Gignac on Feb 28, 2019

    You're going to have to find out what your rights are is a property owner, in respect to overhanging growth. With the law on your side she can complain all she wants.

  • Lisa Lisa on Feb 28, 2019

    You would need to check your property owners rights in your area. Most places if it overhangs the property line you can do whatever you want to that portion of the tree. Had a similar situation with a rental property and s tree we had cut back professionally. Neighbor was unhappy as it was his tree but overhung a lot and was touching our roof and siding. I checked the rules, printed copies and provided him with a copy of them. We did try to handle this amicably at first. We spoke to neighbor and expld what we needed to do (Insurance co doesn’t want limbs touching roof or siding). Neighbor stated no way could we touch his tree. Explained that the overhang was on our property and he didn’t care. He never took care of this tree either. He threatened to sue over it (rolls eyes) but he had no case. Tree people even went over and spoke to him about the tree needing to be trimmed on his side as well as it had some health issues. He yelled at them too. Bottom line - try to be a good neighbor - if that fails - follow the property laws and protect your property.

    • Liz Liz on Feb 28, 2019

      I appreciate your help and understanding. I ordinarily avoid HOA properties but have begun to see the need for their rules.

      the “fluff:needles” the tree sheds clogs our rain gutters on the roof. im going down to City Hall since she promised to have a tree service trim the limbs back. That was a month ago and nothing done yet.

Your comment...