A Funky Houndstooth Win for a Vintage Side Table Makeover!

$39

If you are one that has a hard time making paint colour decisions, you'll appreciate this story.

Once upon a time (right before Christmas actually) I found this amazing little vintage side table on the curb! Without really thinking, I loaded it into the back of the truck then stowed it away in my garage for awhile.

With Christmas looming, I decided to get it all dressed up for the season. But what would I do

a funky houndstooth win for a vintage side table makeover

Oh hello cuteness! I love your lines, but your wood sure is beat up and even broken in areas! Let's fix you up a little...

I first sanded the piece to allow the next treatment planned to have a little more 'tooth' to grab.

Tip: This is an important 'safe' furniture prep step that helps guarantee a great re-paint, regardless of what paint you use.

Then I started to paint. Let's try white!

But then I didn't like it. So I changed it to black.

But then I had a new brainstorm, so I changed it to white... egads!

But as you can soon see, it didn't stay that way either!

The original blog post shows you a comical video of this back and forth chaos. Be sure to visit HERE to check it out.

Knowing what my base would be, I decided to use a shingle and a Houndstooth stencil to add some custom quirk to those doors!

Stencil is Houndstooth - small from Funky Junk's Old Sign Stencils HERE

Next up, I used Fusion Mineral Paint's Coal Black to paint the base, then Ash to stencil Houndstooth onto the panels.

Then I slipped the shingle into place and stood back... oh yes... I liked this very much.

Then, oh my goodness... look out stately you look all dressed up in that houndstooth you spiffy rustic piece you...

With full-out kitty approval, this little makeover is now my BFF and I can even change my mind about the panels as desired!

Now that's a decision I can make up my mind on...

Click the blog link below to the full tutorial, stencil links, AND that chaotic video! I know you'll get it...

What do you think of the new look and the changeable panel idea?

• Houndstooth - small stencil  (https://www.funkyjunksoldsignstencils.com/)
  • Fusion Mineral Paint  (https://fusionmineralpaint.com/)
Funky Junk Interiors - Donna

• Jennifer Morris

Yes, I certainly wil,I've not done anything like that , I've just revamped a dresser, in white shabbychic look which is boring but now I could do the cupboard doors and draws as you have. Where do I buy the stencils ? I also had a drinks trolley that was oak,it didn't go with my new modern furniture so I sprayed it silver it looks great.

• Mary

What kind of shingle did you use and where can I get them?

• Hi Mary, they are standard wood shingles you can find at any hardware store, however mine were outdoor aged due to the barn they came from. If you click through to the original post, I link to the story. They came from my childhood farm barn that had just been torn down. It's a great read!

• Cherie

What sort of sealer did you use? Wax? I noticed it was matt and was curious as to most of the sealers I have used create at least a little sheen, and when I first started, I did not seal my work and the top was ruined and head to be redone, lesson learned. Anyway, would love to know what you used to get the matte as that would be great for shabby chic pieces

LOVE the houndstooth by the way!