Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Abbie M
Abbie M
  • Hometalk Team
  • Brooklyn, NY

Simple Bedroom Update on a $50 Budget

$50
1 Day

My old laminate dresser got scratched up in a move and needed an update - when I found this peel and stick wall paper, I had an idea!

Check out the video for more how-to's!

post

I started by removing all of the drawers.

post

Next, I wiped down the dresser with soap and water. After that, I grabbed some primer.

post

Next, I grabbed some chalk paint in the color "Charcoal." If your piece of furniture isn't laminate you can skip the priming step - I just wanted to be sure the paint would stick as smoothly as possible.

post

Then, I sanded the dresser and began to prime!

Let your dresser dry, and add another coat if necessary.

post

Next, I removed the hardware from my drawers.

post

Cover the whole piece of furniture in chalk paint adding a second coat if necessary.

post

After the wood filler was dry I grabbed my peel and stick wallpaper.

post

Then, I filled the holes with wood filler, let it dry and sanded it smooth.

post

I rolled out the wallpaper, peeled it, laid it flat and cut it roughly to size. It's always better to be able to cut off excess instead of cutting it too short.

Following that, I used a gift card to smooth out the wallpaper on the surface to get out any air bubbles.

post

Next, I folded the edges around the drawer - similar to wrapping a present.

post

Repeat this process on all of the drawers!

post

Next, it was time to add new knobs! I made a template by finding the middle and measuring outward from that. This template made it easy to place the knobs in the same spot on each drawer!

post

Next, I predrilled the holes and added the new knobs!

post

To finish off the look I purchased ivy to hang over our bed, and added some colorful throw pillows to brighten up the space!

Before...

After

I am truly amazed at how different this dresser looks! Before it was heavy and dark and now it's light and modern! And with all of the different knob and peel and stick wallpaper choices - the possibilites are truly endless!

And with a few simple additions...

Our room has so much more personality!

I hope this inspires you to makeover your old dresser & add a few items to give your room a refresh!

• Peel and stick wallpaper
  • Chalk Paint
  • Primer

• Millie

Do you think this will last for years? I would like to try it but being an older senior I don't want to redo it in the future.

• Kathy Kovacev

Where is the finished product?

• Pamela Dalton Adams
    31 minutes ago

4why did you prime it twice...paint it twice. Then cover it with paper? What did I miss?,!