How do I kill weeds in a landscaping area?

+4

I have bushes with gravel in the area by my front walkway. I am not able to bend down and pull them out. I am looking for a spray that will kill the weeds but not damage the bushes. Your help is appreciated.

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide Lauren of Mom Home Guide on Feb 27, 2019

I would avoid using toxic weed killer if you can. You can try spreading a tarp over the gravel and weighing it down with stones or cement blocks. The weeds should die out after a few weeks. You could also try pouring boiling water or vinegar over them.

P.S. - This article lists several ways to naturally kill weeds: https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/gardening/advice/g777/homemade-weed-killers/

• MArtha Whaley MArtha Whaley on Feb 27, 2019

Thanks. I have tarp under the gravel but those pesky weeds are very determined. I think I might try the vinegar in one area to see how it interacts with the bushes. Otherwise, I will try the boiling water but I am sure this will not deter them for long. I appreciate the feedback.

• Dwp7470b Dwp7470b on Feb 27, 2019

Pitchfork and pull. I do it annually. All you need do is lift the soil only slightly enough to loosen the weed.

• MArtha Whaley MArtha Whaley on Feb 28, 2019

Thanks for the idea but I have no pitchfork (retired community in the city) and I can't bend down to pull. But I appreciate you idea and maybe can pass that along to someone else. Thanks.

• Hi Martha - This is the most effective all-natural weed killer DIY that we use. It's even been featured on Hometalk! Hope this helps! Hugs, Holly

https://pinkfortitude.com/weed-killer/

Thanks Holly. This may be doable. Just afraid with bushes in the same area that the solution will travel over to their roots and also kill them. But there are some areas that I think this will work. I will do this in driveway and walkway areas. I appreciate your help!