Asked on Feb 27, 2019

Can you use cement board instead of backer board to tile bath floors?

NonniDwp7470bOliva
+4

I understand tiling directly over plywood can allow warping to occur if grout or other substances seep through. I know backer board is usually used. For bathroom and kitchen floors that are subject to water, can you substitute cement board? Are there any pros and cons to either? Thanks for your help!

• Joy30150932
    Joy30150932

There is a special orange membrane which is glued to the plywood and then the tile is glued to that. This products assists in making sure your tiles do not crack. Anything solid underneath will surely give you cracks in your grout lines over time. This is used wherever you install tiles on the floor.

• Oliva
    Oliva

Look at a product made by Schlutter, for your project.

• Dwp7470b
    Dwp7470b

Ever walked on cement in the rain? It can get quite slippery. So, no, I would never professionally recommend any use on floors or tubs or shower walls for cement of any sort in a bathroom. On Walls or ceilings? Yes. Floors, no.

• Nonni
    Nonni

Cement backer board is always used under tile on the floor. I would even use it under a Kerdi membrane. Be sure to use a porcelain tile with a pei of at least 4 to be sure it is strong enough for most people to walk on it.