Staining Birch

+9
I am trying to stain my birch table top and it is not looking good and the stain is very uneven. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I did sand and applied a pre stain before I used a oil base stain. See picture below this is how it is looking after two coats of stain and I am not sure if I can fix this problem.
q staining birch evenly, painted furniture, woodworking projects, Uneven stain on birch wood and not sure how to fix to get an even finish Suggestions
Uneven stain on birch wood and not sure how to fix to get an even finish. Suggestions?
  • Jill R. Wright Jill R. Wright on Jul 31, 2014
    I don't have experience with staining birch in particular, but I've heard/read that it is one of the hardest woods to stain because it takes the stain unevenly:(
  • The 2 Seasons The 2 Seasons on Jul 31, 2014
    @Jill R. Wright Oh no I did not realize it but I now believe that is true.
  • Roger S Roger S on Jul 31, 2014
    The 2 seasons In my experience I think that you would be better off using PolyShades® by MinWax to finish your table. this is not a stain and it works like a paint which you can use to change the finish color of wood while still seeing the wood grain. http://www.minwax.com/how-to-finish-wood/change-stain-color-with-polyshades/ go here to see how to do what you need to do. Good luck and have fun with it.
    @Roger S I will check this out it sounds just what I need since the birch is not doing well with the stain. I think I need to re sand the wood first. Thanks off to research!
  • Roger S Roger S on Jul 31, 2014
    MinWax makes a cleaner that you might try to remove some of the old stain and then sand it back smooth before the PolyShades is used.
  • Moxie Moxie on Aug 02, 2014
    a staining sealer would help; check out familyhandyman.com for some info...probably need to sand it down before you redo...
  • The 2 Seasons The 2 Seasons on Aug 02, 2014
    Thank you everyone. I have been sanding today and 3 hours later one section of the table is back to the original wood. I plan to sand the other section tomorrow before really doing a pre stain sealer before moving to the next step.
  • Yvonne Yvonne on Aug 06, 2014
    @The 2 Seasons You need to use a water-base wood conditioner first. Let it dry then sand it. If you use water-base stain it'll dry faster and you can apply more coats sooner.
  • Nita O Nita O on Dec 04, 2014
    Frankly this looks perfect to me.
  • Marion Nesbitt Marion Nesbitt on Dec 04, 2014
    Sometimes I play around with several dif colours of stain to get it to look more uniform. Probably if you go darker, the results might be better.
  • Lorei Millan Lorei Millan on Aug 30, 2019

Please let me know what worked for you and show us a picture. Id love an update