Grab an IKEA Storage Cube for This Brilliant Seating Trick!

$80
1 Day

I was at IKEA searching for more storage and seating solutions when I came across this tall storage cube unit and I instantly had an idea!

(Check out the video for more how-to's!  )

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

I purchased the "KALLAX" cube unit.

First, I assembled my storage cube unit. I purchased this particular storage cube because it uses multiple pieces to make it super sturdy! Although, you could use any sturdy cube you like!

Back at home I sanded it, stained it & let it dry.

Next, I set it on its side and measured the length and the width of it.

Then, I took a trip to Home Depot. I purchased some wood and they cut it to size for me for free!

After it was dry I sealed it with a Polycrylic.

While my wood was drying I grabbed some lockable swivel caster wheels. Make sure you purchase the appropriate amount of wheels that that will hold the amount of weight you will be putting on it. Also add more wheels to distribute weight.

I added 6 wheels total. (I made sure to purchase lockable wheels so it will stay in place when you want it to, but you can also move it around!)

I laid out the wheels, market them, pre drilled and screwed in the screws. (I wanted to avoid wood splitting so i used a screw driver instead of my drill to screw in the screws).

After the wheels were attached, I flipped over the cube.

After the glue was dry I also reinforced the top by pre drilling and adding wood screws to the four corners.

Next, after the wood was dry, I applied wood glue and attached my wood to it on top.

This bench is so customizable and perfect for any style and so many uses!

Need extra seating? Add some pillows!

You can stain the wood all sorts of colors to match your style, add foam and fabric and have an upholstered bench, or you can also add a different base other than wheels -- the possibilites are endless!

Need a place to store blankets? Put it at the end of your bed or in your living room!

Need more cold weather gear storage? Put it in your entryway or mudroom!

Have pet toys and supplies lying around? Store them here after playtime!

Switch out pillows and cubes to change up the style!

I hope this inspires you to make your own easy storage bench, see you in my next video!

15 Memorial Day Crafts
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
Everything Red For Canada Day
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!

• MaryJoy

When used as a bench with the top on it what is the height? I'd love to make this to sit at my kitchen table.

• Mary

You could easily do that. The unit is 15” wide and standard chair seats are 19”. The right height legs would do it.

• Jeanne

My question is how you would determine the maximum weight load that the shelving unit would support if using it as a seating bench. I looked at the unit on IKEA & it stated the maximum load as a shelving piece would be 66 lbs., which doesn't seem to be enough for safe seating.

• Lori Longley

I use the Kallax as my mud room bench for changing shoes ect. My husband is close to 200 pounds and hasn't broken anything yet. We've had it for over a year at this point.

• JJ

I know I can find something to use in their stead if need be, but was wondering what the drawers were made of or if they were commercially purchased and where.

• Dottie

The drawers are actually storage baskets or storage cubes. You can buy them at ikea or Wal-Mart has similar ones. IKEA’s come in either a woven straw or wicker, or fabric. I believe the ones at Walmart are all fabric.

• Marilyn

Great idea

• Debra McMenamin

I’ve turned one on the side and used it behind the sofa as a sofa table. I have often thought about this idea and I’m so glad that you posted it here. I love how it looks and I just might give this a try!