Asked on Mar 1, 2019

Is it a mole or a vole?

TrudyNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CAPat
+5

I live in the woods in Pennsylvania. Some underground critter makes my yard all soft AND eats almost all the plant roots I put in the ground. It sounds like a mole, but there has never been a "volcano" of dirt where one exited. I have tried the Juicy Fruit gum, nada. Any ideas of how to get these critters out of here?

• 2dogal
    2dogal

Get a trap and trap them. If you just try to move them, they can come back.

• Trudy
      Trudy

Thanks you, but I don't know what I am trying to trap, a mole or a vole?

• Ann
    Ann

the mole is after grubs-the vole will be the one to use the tunnel to eat roots-I use a pellet called Ramick (am not sure of the spelling) but you must be careful if you have pets-I will place pellet in the tunnel, tamp it down and put a brick or heavy rock on top-do an area at a time

• Pat
    Pat

Sounds like a vole....they dig open tunnels in my flower bed to get to the roots of my plants. You can buy poisoned grain especially for voles at Earl May Plant stores. Just put a little in the tunnel they are using, cover it up and it works. If you don't want to use chemicals, they have vibrating battery operated aluminum sticks that you stick in their tunnel....this stick vibrates now and then and that will drive them away. Tried that one year and it worked also.

• A windmill is what I used.

• Trudy
    Trudy

Thank you.