Air Plant Terrarium Tutorial

$10

True confession: I have the opposite of a green thumb! But, there is a plant I've found that is low maintenance and pretty. Perfect! The air plant is a great way to bring some green into your home without a lot of care involved. See how I made this simple air plant terrarium!

air plant terrarium tutorial

SUPPLIES:

• Air plant
  • Sand
  • Faux moss or other greenery
  • Shells

Let me start by saying, I'd never even heard of air plants until fairly recently. A friend introduced them to me because she knew I struggled to keep plants alive!

Apparently these interesting little plants should not be planted in soil, but get the majority of their nutrients from the air. Hence, air plant!

I would highly encourage you to look into the care of air plants to ensure yours stays alive! But, I was instructed to soak the air plant in water approximately every two weeks.

Otherwise, I use a spray bottle to give them a good misting once weekly.

So far, so good!

Now, on to HOW to make the air plant terrarium!

air plant terrarium tutorial

STEPS FOR MAKING AIR PLANT TERRARIUM:

1. Gather your supplies (see above).
  2. Put sand in the container. I used sand from a family vacation we took to add a bit of a personal touch!
  3. Place the faux moss or greenery and shells in the sand.
  4. Add the air plant!
air plant terrarium tutorial

Arrange the shells and greenery until you find something you love!

air plant terrarium tutorial

I used a glass container I already had. You could easily use supplies you have on hand in your home as well!

Don't forget to water your air plant!

As I mentioned, I typically give it a good soaking (anywhere from a couple of hours to over night) a couple times a month. Just take it out of the container and place it in a big bowl of water. When it's done soaking, I just put it back!

Plus, I try to mist it once a week with a spray bottle.

If you do not have a green thumb, this fun little plant might just be a solution for you!

air plant terrarium tutorial

I hope this gives all of you non-green thumb individuals some hope that you can have LIVE plants, too!

Come say hello at Love Our Real Life and see what other DIY and organization projects are happening!

XO,

April

April at LoveOurRealLife

• Steph knepper

Can I grow HERBS?

• Fanny

Cute idea. Is the sand you used salty? I am not sure salty sand would be good for the plants.

• April at LoveOurRealLife

Good point, Fanny. I'm not sure if this sand is salty. If someone was worried about this, perhaps they could just use soil instead. Have a great week!

• Elsie downing

does it realy grow

• Terri

Yes, I have many air plants and they grow ever so slowly. I have one like the one pictured that sprouted a baby shoot off the side.