Asked on Mar 3, 2019

How do I fix this porch column?

WilliamZelda PumpernickleJohnavallance82
+6

Do you know how to fix it or do you know who I should call to fix my porch column?

• Dfm
    Dfm

the wood looks really wet...you may have termites and possibly wood rot. you may need to rebuild the posts.

• Bonnie Johnson
      Bonnie Johnson

we have a post just like that on our front porch -but it is rotting from where our boy poodle has urinated-he loves that spot-infact he has several more posts he has done the same way-we have the person that put the posts up and he is coming to fix it -I think he is coming to cut half of the post off and replace it with another post and paint it -

• Ebbjdl
    Ebbjdl

Stephanie,. It's hard to tell if the large brown mark is missing wood. Clean the mold off, and sand what you can. If the wood is missing, you need to replace it with a piece of wood, and cut out the rotted piece. Prime it, and with weather proof paint to finish the job. Aloha!

• Marsha Medford
    Marsha Medford

First remove the 1x4. Then you will know if the actual post is damaged. If so you can brace the porch ceiling. The cut off just above the damaged post. Use construction glue on new piece of post slip under existing post. Secure with strap, toe nail or screw the old n new together. Then finish as you like

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello there, Rub it down with sandpaper. If rotted you may be able to fill with wood filler. re-sand and then Prime, Undercoat and then two Top coats.

• Zelda Pumpernickle
    Zelda Pumpernickle

Looks like it's rotten. Call in a professional to check this out.

William

Cheryl has the perfect solution. Love This Old House.