How to Keep Flies Away With 3 Things You Have at Home!

Last weekend a friend gave me a tip that just BLEW MY MIND, and it had to do with repelling flies with three things you have on hand RIGHT NOW. So if you don’t want to hear about bugs, I’ll understand– simply cover your ears and say “lalalala” until the post is over. But for the rest of you, read on to learn my friend’s trick for how to keep your next outdoor party fly-free!
One of my college BFFs came for a visit recently and after sitting down for a nice dinner on the deck we started to get bombarded with that pesky summer staple– FLIES.
“Don’t you know the fly trick?” — college BFF
“What fly trick?” — me
“The pennies in the cup fly trick.” — college BFF
I’d heard rumors of people using plastic baggies filled with water and pennies to repel flies in their home, but hadn’t thought to take the action outdoors. So I followed her directions and filled up three glasses with water and a few pennies (about 4-5), placed them around the food, and watched. We watched the flies come in to land, see the water, and turn around and ZOOM AWAY.
Glass + Water + Pennies = crazy fly repelling abilities.
It was unreal. I’d say it reduced the flies by about 90%. At one point we looked up and the flies were just sitting on the deck railing staring at all the food they couldn’t ruin.
RE-ENACTMENT:
There's a couple tricks to getting this right, so be sure to click on over to my blog post with the info you'll need so this works for you! http://makinglemonadeblog.com/how-to-keep-flies-away-fly-repellent-water-baggies/

Carrie MakingLemonade

• Pennie Collins

Can someone tell me WHY this works?
    • Brenda

I have read also that flies don't like water and you will rarely see flies on a beach because of the movement of the water and they associate water with thunderstorms which is dangerous for flies. So I'm thinking that the smell of water and maybe combined with the smell of copper could be a deterrent as well. Have you ever detected a metalic smell when there is a thunderstorm?

• Beth Trask Symonds

Do the pennies need to be shiny?

• Chris J

No, I don't think they don't need to be shiny so much as they have to be older ones. Modern pennies don't have as much copper as older pennies do. I read that somebody said they used pre-1980 pennies.

• Melinda Hernandez

Do I have to put anything else in the water.

or just a few pennies ?