How to Keep Flies Away With 3 Things You Have at Home!

Last weekend a friend gave me a tip that just BLEW MY MIND, and it had to do with repelling flies with three things you have on hand RIGHT NOW. So if you don’t want to hear about bugs, I’ll understand– simply cover your ears and say “lalalala” until the post is over. But for the rest of you, read on to learn my friend’s trick for how to keep your next outdoor party fly-free!
One of my college BFFs came for a visit recently and after sitting down for a nice dinner on the deck we started to get bombarded with that pesky summer staple– FLIES.
“Don’t you know the fly trick?” — college BFF
“What fly trick?” — me
“The pennies in the cup fly trick.” — college BFF
I’d heard rumors of people using plastic baggies filled with water and pennies to repel flies in their home, but hadn’t thought to take the action outdoors. So I followed her directions and filled up three glasses with water and a few pennies (about 4-5), placed them around the food, and watched. We watched the flies come in to land, see the water, and turn around and ZOOM AWAY.
Glass + Water + Pennies = crazy fly repelling abilities.
It was unreal. I’d say it reduced the flies by about 90%. At one point we looked up and the flies were just sitting on the deck railing staring at all the food they couldn’t ruin.
RE-ENACTMENT:
There's a couple tricks to getting this right, so be sure to click on over to my blog post with the info you'll need so this works for you! http://makinglemonadeblog.com/how-to-keep-flies-away-fly-repellent-water-baggies/

Carrie MakingLemonade

• Yve N Aldo Sandoval

Do the pennies have to be in a clear glass?

• Carol Wilson

No. Just something clear. The meat processor we use has them in ziplock bags nailed to the wall around their doors! I asked what it was for and she told me that it keeps the flies away! Who knew! I WORKS!

• Ama

Whenever I give outdoor parties, I use an 8ft long and narrow table for all the food I serve and what guests bring over. Do I have to use wine glasses next to every single dish or can I line them up in the middle like 4 every 2 ft. or 8 for every foot?
  • Pennie Collins

Can someone tell me WHY this works?
    • Gaynell Thompson

This is what i found as to why it works....Being an easy prey with poor defense skills, flies are not happy being around too much movement --a sign they can interpret as the proximity of a predator. So the water in bags and bottles acts as an amplifier of reflections, movements and colors to the flies' eyes, which scare them away.

• Brenda

I have read also that flies don't like water and you will rarely see flies on a beach because of the movement of the water and they associate water with thunderstorms which is dangerous for flies. So I'm thinking that the smell of water and maybe combined with the smell of copper could be a deterrent as well. Have you ever detected a metalic smell when there is a thunderstorm?

• Beth Trask Symonds

Do the pennies need to be shiny?

• Chris J

No, I don't think they don't need to be shiny so much as they have to be older ones. Modern pennies don't have as much copper as older pennies do. I read that somebody said they used pre-1980 pennies.

• Melinda Hernandez

Do I have to put anything else in the water.

or just a few pennies ?

• Gale

Do you have to use pennies?