DIY Bathroom Mirror Frame

$20

I recently purchased a house with 3 bathrooms, all in need of updating. I wanted to use what I could for now and try refinishing cabinets, etc. The bathroom had an outdated mirror with plastic clips holding it up. I wanted to use the mirror but frame it so that it looks more finished.

diy bathroom mirror frame

I started by taking my measurements for the boards. The mirror was 24 inches wide and 32 inches long, so I made the cuts using a miter saw. I used standard trim boards but pallet wood or anything long enough would work.

diy bathroom mirror frame

I cut the boards, then marked the areas where plastic clips needed to be covered. I left 2 on top and 2 on bottom to support the mirror. I carefully notched out those areas with miter saw, careful not to cut too deep into the board.

diy bathroom mirror frame

I nailed the boards in place using 1 1/4 inch nails. I filled the cracks and seams with caulk as well as the notched out areas to hide plastic clips.

diy bathroom mirror frame

Once caulk was dry I added white paint. I used 2 coats with plan to lightly sand later.

diy bathroom mirror frame

I sanded lightly, then I added gun metal grey wax with a chip brush getting good coverage of frame and let dry. I then mixed some white wax and clear wax for the final coat.

diy bathroom mirror frame

I am happy with the result. It was an easy fix, till I decide to do something different.

diy bathroom mirror frame

I had 3 mirrors, so I cut enough boards to do all. I used white and gun metal on 2 of them and a peacock blue and gun metal on the other. I applied paint, wax, then clear wax.

• Cindy

How do you frame a mirror that is glued to the wall?

• Robyn Garner

If you're talking about a floor-to-ceiling mirror I think you'd have to glue the framing on top of the mirror. You may do well looking at light weight polyurethane moldings.

• Wstiteler

What color did you use for the walls?

• Carla

Love this upgrade

• Bob Schulenberg

It’s really great looking and even glamorous!

How can it not but help to make you look great too!