Scrap Wood DIY Planter

$10

If you are a always doing DIY projects like me you get to the stage were you have a large pile of scrap wood. My pile was getting a little out of control so I used some of the scrap wood to make a wooden planter for my garden.

Scrap Wood DIY Planter

These pieces of wood were old bed slats which had a few layers of stain and varnish on them. I did not want to spend hours sanding it all off, so I put them through a thickness which removed it all in minutes. The best machine every if you build using recycled wood.

Scrap Wood DIY Planter

I used a table saw to cut the wood smaller ready to build my planter. The sizes cut were

• 20 x 410mm x 35mm x 20mm 
  • 20 x 300mm x 35mm x 20mm
  • 4 x blocks for the legs
  • 4 x 360mm x 90mm for the base
Scrap Wood DIY Planter

The base was built by nailing the 4 side together. The first layer is to keep every thing from falling out of the bottom. They were glued and nailed in place using a nail gun.

The legs were also glued and screwed into place in the 4 corners of the base.

Scrap Wood DIY Planter

The pattern was then repeated over and over until all the pieces were gone. Glue was applied to every piece and secured with a nail gun so I could carry on and not wait for the glue to dry.

Scrap Wood DIY Planter

You can build it as tall or short as you like it is all personal preference.

The wood was stained using dark mahogany wood stain. In hind sight it would be easier to stain and varnish all the wood before putting it together. Two coats of outdoor varnish were added to protect the wood from the elements.

Scrap Wood DIY Planter

Soil suitable for succulents was added and some stones to give it a nicer look.

Scrap Wood DIY Planter

This is the planter complete. Modelled for you today by my 2 little jack Russell dogs who seem to jump into all my pictures.

A cute little planter made from scrap but costing me next to nothing.

Scrap Wood DIY Planter

If you are looking for more ideas to utilise all your scrap wood check out this jewellery stand/Scrunchies stand or check out the stunning headboard made from scrap wood and old kitchen cupboards.

3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
Unique Creations By Anita

• Val Hawkins

When you say ran boards through a thickness, are you referring to a planer ?

• John Biermacher

Your assessment of the usefulness of a thickness planer is spot on. I have run salvaged lumber, painted pieces, and a lot of other stuff that probably isn’t recommended. But all I can say is it is a workhorse.

• Val Hawkins

Are you referring to a planer when you say ran your boards through a thickness ?

• Sandra

Has anyone translated the measurements into inches?

• Charise.

..and suddenly, that vintage "Wow! ...I could've had a V8" commercial comes to mind.