Talithagrace K
Talithagrace K
  • Eden, NC
Asked on Jun 22, 2012

Any suggestion on purchasing a good rain barrel to water flower bed and hanging plants in the yard.

DORLISTalithagrace KWalter Reeves
+6

I don't want to draw mosquitoes and such bugs. How does one keep the water clean and how to use with a watering hose.
  • Sherrie S

Most rain barrels have a spigot (faucet) to attach a hose to water the garden and screening on the top of the barrel. We use mosquito dunks in all water features to stop mosquitos. I don't really worry about clean in my barrels.

• Talithagrace K

Thank you Sherrie S! I am going to have to go research what are mosquito dunks LOL. I am new to this gardening world and I am so happy I found this site hometalk. You all are great. Happy Summer from Tali in NC.

• 3po3

This document has good info about rain barrels, and a good diagram of what you should be looking for, including a filter, hose spigot and removable lid. As long as those bases are covered, you should be good to go. Unfortunately, I can't recommend a specific product because rainwater harvesting is technically illegal out here, as I have whined about before here on Hometalk, but that's another story for another day.

• Sherrie S

Talithagrace K, mosquito dunks are things you put in places that have standing water. They are safe for everything but mosquito larvae. All of the big box stores have this product & it does work. If you see tiny wiggly things in the water then drop in the dunks.

• Walter Reeves

water coming from a roof will always be "dirty" and unless you filter it extensively (too much work!) the water in the barrel will get brown. No worries....doesn't hurt plants.

• Talithagrace K

Thanks Sherry, Steve and Walter. I am lloking on line right now for my rain barrell.

• Talithagrace K

Thanks for the tips on rain barrel. I made one from a 55 gal car wash soap container. the water did not turn brown and I am saving on my water bill I use it for many out dooor projests, watering plants, washing out paint brushes, washing the back patio. Thanks Walter Reeves from my home state of Georgia. I doubles screened the barrell.

• DORLIS

I get my barrels from a local coop. they have ones used he syrup for soft drinks so they are safe for water for the flowers and for bees.