Faux Fieldstone

$50
1 Week

I wanted to add some more character to our living room, so I decided to add a little something special above the fireplace.

I created lifelike field stone for over my fireplace made from Styrofoam, spackling and paint. I was able to give depth to the stone by layering some of the stones with 2 layers of Styrofoam. All were painted individually and sealed for a washable surface. Hope you enjoy this mini

faux fieldstone

I started by cutting various shapes and sizes from the foam using a kitchen knife and an exacto knife.

faux fieldstone

Here are some of the different shapes and sizes cut to resemble real fieldstone. Next the edges were trimmed to round out the stones.

faux fieldstone

Here's the1st layer of stone affixed to wall using constructive adhesive. Then I put a second layer on various stones to give more depth.

faux fieldstone

After that, I applied spackling to all of the stones to give them a stony finish.

faux fieldstone

Here's a picture to show the depth I created by layering on various stones.

faux fieldstone

Here's the wall in the process of painting the stones.

faux fieldstone

Lastly, I finished painting and sealing the stones. Do not use spray sealer as it will destroy the Styrofoam.

This update has given such a warm feeling to the living room. Everyone who has seen the stone work thinks it's real stone--it's amazing!

I hope you love this, and maybe give it a try yourself!

• Sharon
    Yesterday

Was courious, would this work on outside on my house?

• Debbie
    Yesterday

I would like to try this on the outside of my house. Would a layer of cement on top of the styrofoam adhere to the styrofoam or would it eat or dissolve the styrofoam?

• Shirley Fee
      11 hours ago

Great job, but I would have glued the Styrofoam onto a piece of luan board to help preserve the wall behind it. Then nailed it up on the wall, the luan is very thin so it wouldn't be hard to do. From my own experience of getting mirrors off the dining room wall that is horrible and can damage the wall big time.