Faux Fieldstone

$50
1 Week

I wanted to add some more character to our living room, so I decided to add a little something special above the fireplace.

I created lifelike field stone for over my fireplace made from Styrofoam, spackling and paint. I was able to give depth to the stone by layering some of the stones with 2 layers of Styrofoam. All were painted individually and sealed for a washable surface. Hope you enjoy this mini upgrade!

I started by cutting various shapes and sizes from the foam using a kitchen knife and an exacto knife.

Here are some of the different shapes and sizes cut to resemble real fieldstone. Next the edges were trimmed to round out the stones.

Here's the1st layer of stone affixed to wall using constructive adhesive. Then I put a second layer on various stones to give more depth.

After that, I applied spackling to all of the stones to give them a stony finish.

Here's a picture to show the depth I created by layering on various stones.

Here's the wall in the process of painting the stones.

Lastly, I finished painting and sealing the stones. Do not use spray sealer as it will destroy the Styrofoam.

This update has given such a warm feeling to the living room. Everyone who has seen the stone work thinks it's real stone--it's amazing!

I hope you love this, and maybe give it a try yourself!

14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs

• Oruc Kenan Yildirim

wow bravo awesome idea!

• Joanie

I think this is amazing.....the stones look real....it is beautiful. Maybe there is a fire proof sealant to put on them......the above comment says it could catch a fire.