Faux Fieldstone

$50
1 Week

I wanted to add some more character to our living room, so I decided to add a little something special above the fireplace.

I created lifelike field stone for over my fireplace made from Styrofoam, spackling and paint. I was able to give depth to the stone by layering some of the stones with 2 layers of Styrofoam. All were painted individually and sealed for a washable surface. Hope you enjoy this mini upgrade!

I started by cutting various shapes and sizes from the foam using a kitchen knife and an exacto knife.

Here are some of the different shapes and sizes cut to resemble real fieldstone. Next the edges were trimmed to round out the stones.

Here's the1st layer of stone affixed to wall using constructive adhesive. Then I put a second layer on various stones to give more depth.

After that, I applied spackling to all of the stones to give them a stony finish.

Here's a picture to show the depth I created by layering on various stones.

Here's the wall in the process of painting the stones.

Lastly, I finished painting and sealing the stones. Do not use spray sealer as it will destroy the Styrofoam.

This update has given such a warm feeling to the living room. Everyone who has seen the stone work thinks it's real stone--it's amazing!

I hope you love this, and maybe give it a try yourself!

• Cindy

Thank you Diane...

• Suzi Quall

So one point to consider here. In the picture your foam board looked pink like the construction insulation type. On a Mike Holmes show, (Holmes on homes), he said that the pink foam board

"will drop you" if there is a fire. The melting of it creates very toxic fumes. He claimed if it is sealed in your walls, you should be okay to get out in time, but using it in any exposed way gives risk. When I first started looking at this I was afraid you had it on lower part where there is greater risk. But even on top I would think it could get quite warm with a fire going. You could check with the manufacturer about risk. Also with the varnish and all not sure I would put a candle on the mantel.