Bird Cage Planter Upcycle

$0

I gave new life to an old bird cage and transformed it into a planter! This was a super simple DIY and is perfect for spring. Plus, it was free for me since I had everything that I needed on hand.

bird cage planter upcycle

Start with a bird cage. I was lucky enough to pick this one out of my neighbor's trash. I have seen bird cages at thrift shops, too! Take note of the dimensions of the cage. You will want to select a plant that will fit inside, with room to grow as a bonus.

bird cage planter upcycle

Pick any color spray paint you want. I went bright with Island Girl by Color Shot brand (buy at Joann fabrics)

bird cage planter upcycle

Add a coconut shell liner to your cage. This was a round one so it didn't fit perfectly, but it was good enough. They sell sheets of the fabric that you could also cut to size if you wanted a more precise fit. Add soil + your plant. I suggest a plant with "drippy" long branches for a beautiful effect. Hang them out the edges of the bird cage. Hang from a chain and hook and enjoy!

bird cage planter upcycle

Clean the cage thoroughly. Spray paint. I hung my cage from a tree branch so I could get all angles. Still, it took several coats. Be sure to look from above and below. It's easy to miss spots on the edges of the bird cage rails.

• Bird cage
  • Spray paint
  • Coconut planter liner
Morgan McBride

• Marie DeSalvo

Should the bottom of the cage be lined so as to not have it rust?

• Sandra Olson
      31 minutes ago

Yes would use tin foil if you wanted also use plastic wrap 1st it is easy to work with or find a tray to fit without cutting...

• Rosemary

Is the paint a rustproof outdoor paint? I have several birdcages so am excited to try this!

• Eliza Spear

I would think if you were hanging it in the weather rust proof would be a great idea. If it’s on a closed porch maybe not so necessary...unless your area is humid in summer then likely an all around excellent idea.

• I love the birdcage and was wondering if you entwined air plants around it inside of having the chunk of burlap which takes away from the beautiful detailing.

Air plants don't require rooting as they obtain their nutrients from the air.

Just a thought.

• Didn't know what it was however the point IS ....not to obscure the beautiful detailing of the birdcage.

Air plants do not need any soil.....

Yes I know the best way to water them, and that could easily be done by entwining them to the outside of the birdcage, however if they are outside, they will get what they need from the air. It's only inside that they need the extra water.

• Daisy@TX

Going yo try this. Love your idea. Already have two similar birdcages.

• Sandra Olson
    28 minutes ago

Yes like the idea I would use succulents like Burrow's tail or Pearl's both r succulent.