Stenciling a Cutting Board

$12

If you have been reading my blog over the last few years, you know that I am not proficient at stenciling. As a matter of fact, I'm an absolute failure! Don't believe me? Well, just hop on over here and here...you will see! Oh, and let's not forget my lumpy pillow...where I screwed up ironing on a stencil! I mean, it is IRON ON for goodness sake!

Well, you will be happy to know that I finally have a successful, yes you read that right, successful stencil project under my belt! YAY!!

My youngest son moved to a new rental home and I wanted to make him a little something for the new place. I found this cute cutting board at Hobby Lobby, 40% off, and knew it would be the perfect house-warming gift for him. While at Hobby Lobby, I found these cute stencils.

I started to pass them by but knew that I needed to really try to conquer my fear of stencils. The stencil pack I purchased was perfect for me to use because they are self-adhesive stencils. I also picked up 2 different colors of green paint...I wanted to blend the greens to look a little more natural for my leaves. I know, I was really stepping out of the comfort zone! :-) I wiped down the cutting board, peeled off the two stencils I decided to use and started to paint.

I used a little of each color and tried to blend them as I went along.

To see additional details, be sure to check out my blog post!

After the paint was dry, I applied a coat of dark wax to seal the paint and protect the board. Finally!! A stencil project that wasn't a disaster!

You can see more photos and additional details on my blog. This cutting board is a gift for my son and I plan on making a few more to give as gifts using different stencils. Have a great day!

• Cutting board  (Hobby Lobby)
  • Craft paints  (Walmart)
  • Leaf stencil  (Hobby Lobby)

15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
Chasing Quaintness

• Judi McClelland
    Judi McClelland

Hi, gorgeous ferns! Just wondering if both the paint & wax are food-safe? Or are the boards for decor only? -Judi

• Arthur
      Arthur

The cutting board itself will always be functional if that is what it's original purpose was (if a board had some type of shellac or lacquer then you know it is NOT for kitchen use). All you need to do is a little annual maintenance (wash and completely dry, then wipe it with some canola oil) and it can be used. You would likely not use the side of the board that had the stencil, but the other side could be used just fine.