Recreated Designs
Recreated Designs
  • Canada

Make a Beautiful Farmhouse Planter in Just a Few Easy Steps

$5

Making this beautiful Farmhouse planter couldn't be easier and all you need is a piece of reclaimed wood and a couple of old galvanized buckets.

make a beautiful farmhouse planter in just a few easy steps

You can use any piece of wood to make your new Farmhouse planter and if you can find a used, reclaimed piece of barn wood even better!

I found this gorgeous piece of wood not long ago and knew it was perfect for this project. I loved how it still have the bracket marks from some old hinges and was aged a lovely shade of grey.

The size of the piece of wood you will need will depend on the size of the buckets or pails you are going to use. You will want your wood to be slightly wider and longer than your buckets.

I have been collecting vintage galvanized buckets for awhile now because I love their character, colour and charm. For my Farmhouse planter I used two of the buckets I had collected but you could add as many as you like to fill out the space you have in mind.

To attach the buckets to the wood, lay your buckets onto the wood and position them where you will want them to hang. Drill two holes, about an inch from top of each bucket, and screw wood screws through the new holes. The screws will keep your buckets firmly in place.

My planter was going in an area of my kitchen that gets very little sun, so I added faux plants to my pails. I don't mind the look of fake plants when they are good quality ones that look real. This way, I was able to add the greenery I craved but without the hassle of trying to grow something in a dark corner.

You could add real plants though and if you hang your planter outside, I would drill a drain hole in the bottom of each bucket for drainage as well.

It was so easy to make this little planter and I love the way the reclaimed wood and greenery make the corner feel alive now.

Check out another Farmhouse project here and see what was done with a reclaimed window...

Visit the original Recreated Designs post for additional pictures and directions at the link below...

Recreated Designs

• Brenda

I want to redo my 50 year old cabinets in my kitchen. They are plain fronts & I want to transform them into shaker cabinets. What should I do?

• Jeanne Martin

Hi Brenda! You might want to repost your question on HomeTalk's main page. You posted it here on this page where only people interested in making the farmhouse wood & bucket planter will see it. Good luck with your project....hopefully you’ll get alot more responses after your question is reposted on the home page question section!

• Erica Smith

Love this! Thanks for sharing!! Simplicity I'm learning is the key to happiness! Lol

Bpessings,

Erica

• Jean C Andrews

Love it! I love the old wood; looks very homey and perfect for the farmhouse look. This project looks simple to make and not costly.

• Recreated Designs

Thanks so much Jean! That is exactly what I love about it too... looks so pretty and it was easy and cheap ;) Every time I see it in my kitchen I smile.