Hayley ~ Tea & Sawdust
Hayley ~ Tea & Sawdust
  • Hometalk Team
  • Spring, TX

Make an Antique Mirror Clock With Only $20

$20

During one of my many weekly Hobby Lobby jaunts, I found these gorgeous clock hands for $9. ($5 with that handy-dandy 40% off coupon!) And they gave me an idea! I had an unused glass table top that I decided to transform into an antique clock. Although lets be honest, I was leaving Hobby Lobby with an idea one way or another. Who doesn't?

make an antique mirror clock with only 20

What you need:

Round glass table top

Clock hands

Krylon's Looking Glass

Any Black Spray Paint

Black acrylic paint

Water spray bottle

E6000

Q-Tips

Step One:

Clean the round piece of glass very well with some rubbing alcohol.

Step Two:

Spray water on the glass, making sure to have lots of droplets.

Step Three:

On top of the droplets, spray your Looking Glass spray paint. This dries very fast, so make sure it's an even coat! Any thin spots can look funky in the end.

Step Four:

After it dries, start dabbing the droplets with a paper towel to make the antique effect!

Step Five:

Spray one layer black paint over all of this.

Step Six:

Use your stencils to paint on your clock numbers (mine were reusable sticky stencils, they cost slightly more but they're definitely worth it!)

Step Seven:

Use a q-tip to apply E6000 your clock hands to the center. You could make this an actual functional clock, Hobby Lobby has everything you need for that. But I decided to make this a piece of art. The clock hands pointing to 8-17 (my anniversary).

And that's it! A super quick project, it only took me about 2 hours to finish this project, and it's a really nice sentimental piece. (If anyone has tips for photographing mirrors please let me know in the comments!)

And if you'd like to see more projects like this, be sure to check out my blog:

Hayley ~ Tea & Sawdust

• Joyce Hopkins

I had no idea they had looking glass spray paint! That is fabulous! Question about doing a functional clock. You would have to drill a whole in the middle right? Or is there a timepiece that works without having to do that? I have an actual mirror I'd like to transform. Thanks for all the great ideas. Joyce

• Esperanza

Where you get the hands for the Clock

• Deb

Any thoughts on how it might work on a mirror in a frame? Paint the mirror black, dry well, do water drops on black then looking glass on top of that?

• Charitie Drye

Perfectly to the point and simple. Now I get how to do the technique. Every other person makes it so complicated and make it seem that it so easy to mess up. So thank you

• Hayley ~ Tea & Sawdust

Thank you so much Charitie! It's really easy and so forgiving, this was my first time attempting this technique and I had no issues!  super easy

• Deb

I can’t get the video to play. I’m assuming the black paint is on the back of the glass and the looking glass paint and water is on the front?