Make an Antique Mirror Clock With Only $20

$20

During one of my many weekly Hobby Lobby jaunts, I found these gorgeous clock hands for $9. ($5 with that handy-dandy 40% off coupon!) And they gave me an idea! I had an unused glass table top that I decided to transform into an antique clock. Although lets be honest, I was leaving Hobby Lobby with an idea one way or another. Who doesn't?

What you need:

Round glass table top

Clock hands

Krylon's Looking Glass

Any Black Spray Paint

Black acrylic paint

Water spray bottle

E6000

Q-Tips

Step One:

Clean the round piece of glass very well with some rubbing alcohol.

Step Two:

Spray water on the glass, making sure to have lots of droplets.

Step Three:

On top of the droplets, spray your Looking Glass spray paint. This dries very fast, so make sure it's an even coat! Any thin spots can look funky in the end.

Step Four:

After it dries, start dabbing the droplets with a paper towel to make the antique effect!

Step Five:

Spray one layer black paint over all of this.

Step Six:

Use your stencils to paint on your clock numbers (mine were reusable sticky stencils, they cost slightly more but they're definitely worth it!)

Step Seven:

Use a q-tip to apply E6000 your clock hands to the center. You could make this an actual functional clock, Hobby Lobby has everything you need for that. But I decided to make this a piece of art. The clock hands pointing to 8-17 (my anniversary).

And that's it! A super quick project, it only took me about 2 hours to finish this project, and it's a really nice sentimental piece. (If anyone has tips for photographing mirrors please let me know in the comments!)

And if you'd like to see more projects like this, be sure to check out my blog:

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Becky

I'm curious like so many others here about how you hung it....?

• Peggy

Best way I have found to photograph a mirror is to take it outside and lay it on the grass so it reflects trees and sky

• Tracy

Where did you put the movement ,that turns the hands?

• Amy Jo Olson

Actually, the mechanism for the clock is purchased as a kit along with the hands. If you look at the materials list, you will see the little black, square box pictured along with the hands. That is the motor that moves the hands on the clock. You can find the kit at any Michael's Crafts, Hobby Lobby, some Walmarts (if they have a big enough craft department,) any type of craft store and Amazon.