Jody Harris
Jody Harris
  • Tutorial Team
  • Shelton, WA

Cool Cooler

$15

We had an old sewing cabinet that had the sewing machine removed from the cabinet. We have seen coolers made from these before and decided to try it out. It was a fairly easy project to undertake. We hope you like it!

cool cooler

So here it is! Not in bad shape, but needed a little livening up.

cool cooler

It had a drawer that was a little fun hidden spot.

cool cooler

In order to fit an enamel pan that we acquired in the opening, we had to make a few cuts.

cool cooler

Here it is from the underneath side. We attached 4 pieces of wood on the underside of the opening to hold the pan. The pan can be removed easily from the top.

cool cooler

After we painted it this great aqua color, it was time to distress it! Then, we sealed it with a polyacrylic so it could be outside.

cool cooler

Distressing done. Don’t you love it!

cool cooler

We spray painted the pulls white and added a towel bar and bottle opener ( not shown here).

cool cooler

Here is is open.

cool cooler

And here it is all ready for a party!

cool cooler

And a side view with the bottle opener. Isn’t this a fun piece! Hope you like it as much as we do.🙋🏻

• Foxy grandma

Oh yes, a wonderful idea, & I have an old sew-machine cabinet. Question: where in the world will I find a basin to fit so well?

• LeAnna Chase
      Yesterday

@grandmadragon not sure if you have a habitat for humanity store near you but I see empty sewing machine tables in and out of there daily.. Usually $5-$25. Good luck 😊

• Sam

I would like to know where I can get that towel, I love it.

• Lavonna McJunkins
    Yesterday

How do you drain the water from ice melting?

• Wilson
    13 hours ago

Love this. I would add two things. A shelf underneath to hold extra supplies and a drain. Simple plumbing, could use a piece from an old hose which would drain the melting water off into the bushes.

• Tonia Lewis Hicks
    30 minutes ago

Love the idea! Would also add some small, locking castors to the legs so it would be easier to move it around without damaging the legs. The towel bar could double as a handle when u needed to move it.