How to Easily Decorate an Old Lampshade With Colourful Paint Pens!

$2

This old beige canvas lamp shade was just screaming out for some attention and a bit more color I decided to get on it! I love being able to give a plain Jane lamp shade a new life with some paint and creativity. It's low cost and easy to do and gives your lamp more color and design.

Plain shade ready for some colour!

First, I laid out a background color. I used an acrylic paint in red and I covered the plain canvas shade. Let that dry and then your ready to continue!

Paint shade with red paint.

Next it’s time to get creative with a white acrylic paint pen. I draw flowers in various positions on shade with even spaces between designs.

Acrylic paint pen flower design

I keep going and then add accents dots and outlines in blue paint pen. You can really take your creativity as far as you'd like, experiment with color and shapes, and just have fun.

Blue dots painted in

A few more flourishes and nearly done.

Adding Blue paint pen details

I’m really pleased with this transformation!

Lampshade makeover

It looks great! I also gave the lamp stand a sweet little makeover, go take a look at my post- http://www.hometalk.com/41762130/sweet-whimsical-lamp-stand-make-over" target="_blank">http://www.hometalk.com/41762130/sweet-whimsi...

To see more: http://www.amazon.co.uk/handmade/Susan-Goode-Designs

• Paula Befumo

How does it look with the light on? I've painted shades, although not this well. They didn't look as good with the bulb lit.

• Jeanne Martin

To the ones who said their lampshade didn't look nice when the light was on - could you line the inside with something more opaque (like pretty paper, contact paper, fabric,a map, etc.) so it might hide what you didn't like? I would like to try this but might line the inside first, just to be sure!

• Susan Lundquist

Saw streaks when light was on with my first shade, so I sprayed the inside of my latest shade with left over dark paint. Light then went up and down only. The effect I wanted.

Wish I had thought about poking holes in the pattern, as an outline for some of the hearts on a recent project (little girl’s princess night lamp). I used a 7 watt bulb in it. Just the right amount of light.

• Owna

Would it work on polyester or silk type shades or would it run?

• Susan Goode

I think it would be fine but like most projects the fun is the experimenting with ideas and I guess the overall effect may be beautifully unique.

• Melissa Barrett

So cute ! Great in a kids room too ! 😁

• Denise Wiorek

I would think that this would darken the light that filled the room because of the thickness of the now painted shade. I would love to try this but need all the light in the room I can get.

• Susan Goode

Yes it does mean light is not as vibrant so I use as soft aesthetic