Red White & Blue Lampshade Makeover

$2

This old beige canvas lamp shade was just screaming out for some attention and a bit more color I decided to get on it! I love being able to give a plain Jane lamp shade a new life with some paint and creativity. It's low cost and easy to do and gives your lamp more color and design.

Plain shade ready for some colour!
Plain shade ready for some colour!

First, I laid out a background color. I used an acrylic paint in red and I covered the plain canvas shade. Let that dry and then your ready to continue!

Paint shade with red paint.
Paint shade with red paint.

Next it’s time to get creative with a white acrylic paint pen. I draw flowers in various positions on shade with even spaces between designs.

Acrylic paint pen flower design
Acrylic paint pen flower design

I keep going and then add accents dots and outlines in blue paint pen. You can really take your creativity as far as you'd like, experiment with color and shapes, and just have fun.

Blue dots painted in
Blue dots painted in

A few more flourishes and nearly done.

Adding Blue paint pen details
Adding Blue paint pen details

I’m really pleased with this transformation!

Lampshade makeover
Lampshade makeover

It looks great! I also gave the lamp stand a sweet little makeover, go take a look at my post- http://www.hometalk.com/41762130/sweet-whimsi...

To see more: http://www.amazon.co.uk/handmade/Susan-Goode-Designs

• Paula Befumo
    Yesterday

How does it look with the light on? I've painted shades, although not this well. They didn't look as good with the bulb lit.

• Sandra Ross Warren
      30 minutes ago

If you want more light coming through you could take a straight pin and poke holes to outline all the designs which also gives it a really cool effect.

• Jeanne Martin
    Yesterday

To the ones who said their lampshade didn't look nice when the light was on - could you line the inside with something more opaque (like pretty paper, contact paper, fabric,a map, etc.) so it might hide what you didn't like? I would like to try this but might line the inside first, just to be sure!

• Susan Goode
      5 hours ago

I guess the personal preference for a bright functioning lamp versus an attractive home decor piece to create atmosphere is in question !

• Kathy Kraus
    10 hours ago

I agree with Leanne, I wouldn’t be able to draw freehand. You did an incredible job, it’s beautiful !

• Susan Goode
    5 hours ago

Thank you and is surprisingly easy for anyone to use these paint pens and appreciate the positive feedback