How To Make Rustic Vintage Upcycled Planters

$1

I love vintage images and graphics especial floral ones. However, there is only so much space on my walls, so I'm always looking forward to different ways to display them.

Recently, I added some vintage flower seed packet art images to my blog. These are free to download at the end of the post with the blog link. I thought it would be fun to make some vintage planters with them.

how to make rustic vintage upcycled planters

I used rusty tin cans for the base. These were just some tin cans I had lying out in the garden. If you don't have rusty ones, just soak some tin cans in salty water and then leave them outside in the rain for a few days and they should start to rust.

Next I downloaded some vintage seed packet templates from the blog. I then cut out the central image. There are 9 different designs to choose from.

With sandpaper I sanded off the loose rust flakes. Only sand in the area where you will be sticking the label.

To make the label look in keeping with the rustic planter. I wet the edge of it using a paint brush. Then I carefully tore around the edge to create a feathered look.

Using Mod Podge I stuck the torn label to the sanded part of the tin can. I then covered the whole thing with another layer of Mod Podge this acts as a sealer. If you are going to use the planters outside use waterproof outdoor mod podge.

Next I cut a small plastic water/soda bottle to the height of the tin can. You need a bottle that just fits inside the can. I then pierced some drain holes in the bottom of the bottle.

I placed a small layer of shingle/pebbles in the bottom of the cut bottle. Then I planted in the bedding flowers. The bottle is then just placed inside the tin can.

Using the bottle inside the cans helps with drainage and also makes it easy to change the plants.

For more photos and to download the free vintage seed packets visit the blog. There are also some more free vintage flower images you can download here.

Claire Armstrong