EASY DIY Staircase Makeover on a Budget

$50
1 Day

We recently painted our entrance way including the trim, floor, and doors. Of course... then the staircase looked out of place. So that became my next project.

Beige Beauty

A shot of our entryway the day we moved in. As you can see it NEEDED updating!

Before

The stairs were all oak (like the rest of the house) and the treads were carpeted in white-ish carpet – you know, the perfect color for a family with 3 kids and two dogs!  

After

Look at the staircase now! Quite a difference don’t you think? This is exactly what you see as you walk in the front door, and it’s so much more welcoming than before! Check out how I did the stenciled floor on my blog post here.

Full tutorial in video

Here's a summary of what I did: I removed the old carpet, stained the treads, and painted the risers and spindles. I did keep the banister and newel posts stained, just for a little design element that was a little special. 

The runner is a Costco floor runner; sections cost $10 each, and I used 4 to get all the way up the steps. They are the most inexpensive, easiest to install runners you can imagine. The stripes were a little bit challenging to line up but attached with just a few staples. The no-skid backing kept the runner in place just perfectly.   

The landing had already been replaced with waterproof laminate flooring. But I think I got the posts and treads to match the landing perfectly! 

Watch my YouTube video where I show exactly how I renovated this old, beige staircase into a beautiful showcase. For more video tutorials and paint reviews find me on YouTube at Roots & Wings Furniture LLC

Also be sure to follow me on Facebook @rootsandwingsfurniture for more inspiration, encouragement, and support (+ announcements on my upcoming classes)!

• Hammer  (https://amzn.to/2H79Xd0)
  • Pry-bar  (https://amzn.to/2EQItG2)
  • Staple remover  (https://amzn.to/2EQ7GQX)

27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
Jenni Ingram

1 comment
  • Doreen Kennedy

I really like how you updated your staircase on a realistic budget. Staircase runners are pretty pricey. Your money saving solution by using multiple runners is great idea. I’ve seen it done before, but I especially love the look of your staircase.