Pallet & Pipe Dog Bed Platform

Using a pallet and a few pipe fitting pieces, this super easy and rather inexpensive raised doggie bed platform was born! In the summertime, my husband and I switch vehicles which allows me to drive around in his pick up truck, picking up all kinds of good stuff including the free pallet used to create this project. I was even able to reuse a former dog bed, made out of orthopedic foam, to create a new and
pallet pipe dog bed platform, diy, pallet, pets animals, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects
The only thing missing from this photo is one of my ridiculously cute pups, but I was too excited when I finished (heck I hadn't let the chalkboard paint dry on the nameplate!) and had to take pictures. The dog bed foam was covered in a cool patterned duck cloth fabric - this type of fabric is durable but still soft!
There are some great sites (including mine!) that provide a TON of advice on choosing and using the correct pallet and how to "dissect" a pallet without wasting time or boards. I used a reciprocating saw and a strong man (my husband needs some credit!) to rip this apart for my boards.
I cut the boards down to fit the dog bed snuggly - there is a LOT more guidance on the measurements on my blog. One BIG tip, because pallets have nails in hidden places, please check and re-check your cut spot before cutting. This may cause adverse reactions from your machines and you could get hurt in the process - head my warning!
Once the boards were cut to fit the bed, I secured them in place with heavy duty wood screws and used 1X2" lumber as a "spacer". A single 4' piece of 1X2" lumber was cut into 1' sections and used as uprights for the platform.
Using 2 flanges and a single nipple, the raised pipe form was created and used to level the bed. I painted all of the pieces prior to assembling. There is a BIG cost savings tip that I offer for this step - check out the link!
Using a piece of scrap pallet lumber, I sprayed chalkboard paint to create a name plate for the front of the bed.
Meagan {The Charming Farmer}

• Vicki Philp

That's awesome! What about a daybed for yourselves with another pallet or a swing for the front verandah?

• Cin31945562

I need to make 2 of these for my mother in laws cats, and 3 raised food bowl holders, 2 for her cats and one for our dog Chevy 😉 thanks for the idea, mom always gets boxes from the beer store or grocery store and knits blankets to go in them for the cats, the boxes aren’t big enough to contain her rather large cats so this way I could make them big enough, would make great Christmas presents for them 😁 ty so much for the ideas