Pallet & Pipe Dog Bed Platform

43K Views
Using a pallet and a few pipe fitting pieces, this super easy and rather inexpensive raised doggie bed platform was born! In the summertime, my husband and I switch vehicles which allows me to drive around in his pick up truck, picking up all kinds of good stuff including the free pallet used to create this project. I was even able to reuse a former dog bed, made out of orthopedic foam, to create a new and cozy place for any pup to sleep. For a final personalized touch, a chalkboard name plate was added. This project is similar to the raised industrial dog feeder project that I have on my blog and Hometalk.
  • pallet pipe dog bed platform, diy, pallet, pets animals, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects
The only thing missing from this photo is one of my ridiculously cute pups, but I was too excited when I finished (heck I hadn't let the chalkboard paint dry on the nameplate!) and had to take pictures. The dog bed foam was covered in a cool patterned duck cloth fabric - this type of fabric is durable but still soft!
There are some great sites (including mine!) that provide a TON of advice on choosing and using the correct pallet and how to "dissect" a pallet without wasting time or boards. I used a reciprocating saw and a strong man (my husband needs some credit!) to rip this apart for my boards.
I cut the boards down to fit the dog bed snuggly - there is a LOT more guidance on the measurements on my blog. One BIG tip, because pallets have nails in hidden places, please check and re-check your cut spot before cutting. This may cause adverse reactions from your machines and you could get hurt in the process - head my warning!
Once the boards were cut to fit the bed, I secured them in place with heavy duty wood screws and used 1X2" lumber as a "spacer". A single 4' piece of 1X2" lumber was cut into 1' sections and used as uprights for the platform.
Using 2 flanges and a single nipple, the raised pipe form was created and used to level the bed. I painted all of the pieces prior to assembling. There is a BIG cost savings tip that I offer for this step - check out the link!
Using a piece of scrap pallet lumber, I sprayed chalkboard paint to create a name plate for the front of the bed.

Suggested materials for this project:

Meagan {The Charming Farmer}

Ask a Question