How do I choose a backsplash?

+4

Hi, I have been looking for a backsplash that will work with our countertop, but nothing seems to look right. The counter is avery dark brown that has a slight purplish tone in some areas of it in certain light and up close is very busy with black veining, a few small white spots and spots that look sort of orangish, maybe slightly pinky? There is a spot by the wall that has some slightly pinkish to it which really makes it hard to pick a backsplash. The countertop color looks different in different light. Our kitchen is extremely rustic, so I am looking for a rustic bs, and would like it to be very easy to clean. I like bs with tumbled edges (not perfectly straight) if possible. Also, anthing even slightly busy does not work, but I don't like solid color tile. Regarding color, I am having a hard time because anything with even a hint of yellow, orangish rust, brown, beige or gray does not look good since it has a very slight purple in it as if a bit of purple was mixed with dark brown and has a very pinkish right by the wall in some areas. I am about to give up and just paint it white, but really want a bs. Any suggestions? Thanks.

q backsplash help please

The kitchen isn't actually as dark as it looks in this photo.

q backsplash help please
q backsplash help please
q backsplash help please
  • I think you could do a rustic tumbled brick style tile like this one. It has many shades in it, so it will blend the purples of the counter and the golds of the hickory cabinets and introduce some greys as well. I think it's important to introduce some cool tones like grey, even if only in the grout, so that you room isn't all just warm tones.

• Kathy Kathy on Mar 08, 2019

The counter is actually very busy, so I'm not sure a busy backsplash would go and I really don't want purple. The counter is more brown than purple, yet beige and brown doesnt look right cause its a funny brown as if just a hint of purple was mixed with brown, so no color really goes with it. What about something off white or very light cream (not yellowish), just not a solid color? Some sort of subway tile or smaller 2x4? I've tried a 2x4 tumbled marble that is off white slightly cream, but the light beige in it didn't go with the counter.

• Ginger Ginger on Mar 08, 2019

Have you though of old tin roofing it looks very good with just about anything I talked my oldest son into doing it and everyone loves it

• Kathy Kathy on Mar 08, 2019

I've actually thought about old tin ceiling tile(not the fake plastic stuff) for behind the stove, but don't know how it would look and don't think it's very easy to clean if spattered with oil etc.

• Debi53 Debi53 on Mar 10, 2019

Since your handles are black, what about a matte finish black tile backsplash. It would tie your hardware in and the matte would not look modern like a shin black would.