Asked on Mar 9, 2019

How do you get pet urine smell out of your house?

SarahJulie D. GrantNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA
+6

How do u get pet urine smell out of your house and stop your pets from peeing in your house

• Gk
    Gk

You can use a pet odor/stain enzyme cleaner to try and eliminate the urine smell. Stopping your pets from peeing in the house is a training issue that involves both training yourself and your dog! Here's one article about training dogs to pee outside: https://www.cesarsway.com/dog-training/housebreaking-issues/the-secret-to-housebreaking-adult-dogs

• Dfm
    Dfm

Natures Miracle is a pet product that has given me good results to get pet stains gone. As to stop them from peeing, what type of pets do you have?

• Linda Sikut
    Linda Sikut

Hi Vickie,

Most pet stores have enzyme odor remover products which do work well. If you want to try a home-made system, here's an article that should help. I've been successful using baking soda. Wishing you the best.

https://www.wikihow.life/Get-Rid-of-Dog-Urine-Smell

• Trina
    Trina

OxiClean also works extremely well both with the stain and the odor. Once you remove the smell, that will help some with keeping them from peeing in the house. Also they may have a urinary tract infection or else they are not getting outside often enough to relieve themselves. Another health issue that is indicated by excessive peeing is high blood sugar oh, I so I would certainly check on that as well.

• What do you have Vickie? Dogs? Were they housebroken or potty trained? Are they able to go out on a regular basis? Take to your vet and make sure they have no underlying health issues.

I have 6+ dogs, 6 cats and they all have been housebroken and litter box trained. Not hard to do, just takes consistent gentle training.

• Julie D. Grant
    Julie D. Grant

Puppy's don't feel the urges at first, so they have to be trained not only "to the spot", but caught ahead of time so they begin to realize that "feeling" it means time to go outside and go to the bathroom. Vinegar erases the smell that humans can't smell, but animals can. They gravitate to the spot they last urinated/defecated in. I spray a hefty amount of vinegar on the place (test it first - white vinegar best) then scrub it in with a cloth. I also use Dawn dishwashing liquid when an extra punch is needed as it gets the grease out easily. Spray and scrub, then spray clear water and dry it with towels. Afterward, I spray with vinegar and rub it in and scrub it out. I am in the animal business and this seems to work.

If you're training a little one to go outside, take a tiny bit of the urine or solid waste and put it in a spot you want him to use as his bathroom. When you see him get ready to go (tail goes up and outward and doesn't move, hind legs begin to squat, or it's been more than an hour) take him to that spot, let him smell it (you might have to encourage the smelling by gently maneuvering the body) and stay with him. You must stay with him. When he does his duty in that spot, praise him like he's never been praised before and continue to do that until he is comfortable telling you he wants to go.

Some dogs will come and stare at you to let you know it's time to "go.". Watch carefully and they'll tell you when they need to go. Good luck.

• Sarah
    Sarah

Sorry for chiming in a bit late to the discussion, but I really feel like I need to add my 2 cents.

Cats don't just pee on floors and beds because they're in pain - could be a multitude of other reasons! Most common is that male cats feel the need to mark their territory.

As for myself, I finally found something that works for the cat pee smell in my home! A herbal mixture of sorts! I now recommend it to everyone because it works so freakin' well and we save SOO much money!

You should definitely check it out, we don't even buy Odorban and the likes any longer :)

What a relief to finally have gotten rid of the horrible cat pee smell, and for a decent price as well.

Registered an account only to say this:

One of my 2 cats (both neutered males) had taken to painting all of my walls, furniture, and anything else he could reach. I was horrified when I got a UV light. He never did that in all of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a buddy (they love each other and did so right away) but when a strange black cat started showing up outside both of my cats went nuts and the older one (9) started his wall painting, as well as the curtains out in the kitty room. I couldn't keep up with it.

My cats are indoor cats so it's not like the stray is actually going to get in here but they both hate him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats hate him too). I've tried cleaning with a pet urine enzyme and then spraying some "No More Spraying" but that hasn't worked.

He's a sneaky little bugger too; he waits until he thinks I'm not looking and then does it. He's learned that the minute I see him backing his butt up to something he gets yelled at. It wasn't until I found "Cat Spraying No More" that I was able to finally get rid of this tiresome behavior. Now my house doesn't smell like a litter box anymore :)

To be honest, I don't know too much more about it so I did a quick Google search and here's a description of the spray with a long review as well.

No I have not been paid for this post nor do I make any commissions off of it. I really just want to help you guys out. I hope you don't mind.

I'm based in Sweden, by the way, so you should be able to get it too.

Good luck with the odor! It really lowers your quality of life, doesn't it?