How do I get rid of weeds and renew a shade garden?

+6

I just moved in to a place that many years ago must have had a shade garden. It's now mostly grass and weeds with a few lilly of the valley and day lilies here and there. What is best way to get rid of the weeds/grass and what kind of mulch should I use. I'm a novice at gardening but want to learn.

• Hi I'm a Master Gardener and you could call your local extension office for some ideas. Depending on if you're going organic or not you can simply pull the weeds and grass. If you're into using chemicals are certainly lots of weed and grass killer is out there just don't plan on everything edible being grown there. There are lots of different kinds of plants, herbs and flowers that will grow in Fairly Shady conditions. Depending on what part of the country you're in that may vary as to what kind of mulch you use. In a hot climate I would recommend staying away from Perma mulch as it holds a lot of heat. If you're in an area that doesn't have to have a summers you could look at barkdust or other natural materials if you're in a coastal area.

• Mad29883817 Mad29883817 on Mar 09, 2019

Can buy any grass\ weed killer..i prefer roundup..i would by triple shredded mulch

• Janet Janet on Mar 09, 2019

I don't like roundup (I've had cancer) but the triple shreaded mulch sounds good. Thanks!

• Betsy Betsy on Mar 09, 2019

Hi Janet: A shade garden is great:) Dig up what grass and weeds you can, and then put down a layer of Preen. Here is their site: https://www.preen.com/ Then select the plants you want to put into your garden, mulch at least 3 or 4 inches thick and sit back and enjoy your handiwork:) Good luck

• Janet Janet on Mar 09, 2019

Good to know, thank you.

• Hi Janet - This is the most effective all-natural weed killer DIY that we use. It's even been featured on Hometalk! Hope this helps! Hugs, Holly

https://pinkfortitude.com/weed-killer/