What can I do to get rid of the varmints in my yard?

+16

I live in a nice older neighborhood in a township within a major city. Our water bills were huge so we finally got the city to include us in water system, but now we have rats in our area! They said they are coming through the newly laid water pipes from "the bottoms" area. What can I do?? I am NOT going to have rats around my house! Id rather pay more for the water lol

• Betsy Betsy on Mar 09, 2019

Yikes Debi! I'd contact the township/city and have them address this issue and fix it. If they refuse, then I'd go to the media and make it so public that they can't do anything but fix it! You might talk to an attorney, too. Very good luck to you!

• Debi Dye Brock Debi Dye Brock on Mar 09, 2019

Thanks Betsy. Yes the township knows and they are telling us not to put the trash out until the last minute, clean up areas outside your home where they might nest ect. But they can't do anything about them coming through the water pipes. We asked for city water.

• Jody B Nash Jody B Nash on Mar 09, 2019

Well, you'll need a few 1 ft lengths of plastic pipe. The pipe diameter should be too small for a cat or small dog to enter. Place block type rat poison into the center of the pipe. Place these everywhere you see or suspect the rats run. You won't have rats for long after doing this.

• Rats are everywhere whether you see them or not. Watch your home security system, you will be shocked to see what creatures are creeping around at night. Just keep your property tidy so they have no reason to move in.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Mar 09, 2019

Make sure you plug up any ways the rats could get into your house, no matter how small the holes are so that you don't get them in the house!

• See 4 previous
    • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Mar 11, 2019

Feed the cat and make a little house on your back porch for him so that he is comfy and can stay warm and dry. He sounds like he is the protector of your yard, so he is a keeper! Try to fill in all the holes any critter can get into your house through, between that and your new adopted cat, you should stay safe from the rats outside.

• Ellis Ellis on Mar 09, 2019

Rats can squeeze through a hole the size of a quarter, so be rarely careful . You have to fill the holes with steel wool or metal mesh (they sell copper mesh that won't rust) and then seal with expanding foam or cement. Make sure the place where your water pipes enter the house is well sealed!

I'd consider getting an exterminator to help with every method possible to keep them from entering your house, because I'm absolutely terrified of them.

The other thing I've done is get some metal trash cans for the trash while I wait for collection day.

Yes, I was referring to PVC pipe. If you think it could be moles (they make holes in the yard), the big box stores sell a thing that you put in a hole and set it off.

• Betsy Betsy on Mar 11, 2019

Hi again Debi: Please remember, if you poison the rats, anything that eats or bites the dead rat will ingest the poison, even your dogs. :( Rats are so very hard to get rid of. Since the township allowed the pipes to be laid, they should be responsible for anything coming through. Maybe they can get some screening put up in the pipes. Rats can get through really small openings and eat everything, even seeds from grass to flowers, so it seems like you're running in mud trying to get rid of them. But with a bit of perseverance, you can get rid of them. There are rat traps you can put down by your house, you see them around the backs of stores. Good luck to you and your neighbours.

• See 1 previous
    • Betsy Betsy on Mar 16, 2019

Well, good luck. Report him again and if he says something, just tell hm that the city was doing a recheck on him. And, tell the ordinance guy not to tell on you because that guy can be mean. Good luck.