Molly AuBuchon
Molly AuBuchon
  • Paducah, KY

Giving a 1942 Vanity Table a New Life

I found this vanity on a local barter and trade site for $50. I've been looking for a vanity for a long time and bought this one to make into something I'd love and use.
staining wood vanity vintage renew, painted furniture
The veneer had damages, but the vanity was in tack. I knew I'd first remove the veneer.
staining wood vanity vintage renew, painted furniture, Removing the veneer
Removing the veneer.
I tried using heat to release the veneer, but found the most productive way to get it off was picking and peeling using straight edge razor and various putty knives. Not the most fun part for sure. Some peeled in strips, some areas I had to pick tiny pieces at a time. I'm sure someone has a better method, but this worked for me.
staining wood vanity vintage renew, painted furniture, Most veneer off
Most veneer off.
Getting down to the bare bones.
After removing all veneer, I sanded. Getting down in all the cracks and crevasses took patience. I sanded it even more after this to get the wood as fresh looking as possible. My best advise here is sand, sand, and sand some more. When you think you sanded enough, go sand it more.
staining wood vanity vintage renew, painted furniture, Stain
Stain!
I carefully stained the piece. I used a grain defining stain. Because of the variation of types of wood it gave a variation in color I was happy with. I did all the same steps with the topper that holds the mirror.
staining wood vanity vintage renew, painted furniture, Found this stamped on the mirrors
Found this stamped on the mirrors!
The stamp says "Galax Va.", can't read the middle, and 1942. Which I'm assuming dates the piece to 1942.
I used 4 coats of premium satin finish polyurethane. And used a little Brasso to clean the handles.
staining wood vanity vintage renew, painted furniture, Finished
Finished!
I'm so delighted with the outcome! Over 100 hours of blood, sweat, and tears.
staining wood vanity vintage renew, painted furniture, Before and after side by side
Before and after side by side.

• Annette Vargas

This turned out Beautiful, love that you could see the grain variations. Do you think this process would work for an old antique dinning table? The veneer is coming off the edges and looks pretty bad.

• What kind of sanders did you use, several different ones. Your sanded piece of the vanity looked like new unfinished wood. Don’t own sander and don’t know where to begin with one. Help

• Susanne Mcmahon

Any hard ware store will tell you what you need.and a detail sander helps .beside apalm sander .or just sand paper .ask about whst grot you will need for your project.

• Cheryl

Did you use two different color stain? That's just gorgeous.... Great job...

• Molly AuBuchon

Just one stain. The different types of wood it was made with picked up the stain differently. Its rustoleum stain in the color kona.

• Nancy Ludwig

Wow, just beautifullly done.

• Itsmemic

so beautiful. I had no idea veneer can be removed and not look terrible/ So beautiful !!