Giving a 1942 Vanity Table a New Life

I found this vanity on a local barter and trade site for $50. I've been looking for a vanity for a long time and bought this one to make into something I'd love and use.
The veneer had damages, but the vanity was in tack. I knew I'd first remove the veneer.
Removing the veneer.
I tried using heat to release the veneer, but found the most productive way to get it off was picking and peeling using straight edge razor and various putty knives. Not the most fun part for sure. Some peeled in strips, some areas I had to pick tiny pieces at a time. I'm sure someone has a better method, but this worked for me.
Most veneer off.
Getting down to the bare bones.
After removing all veneer, I sanded. Getting down in all the cracks and crevasses took patience. I sanded it even more after this to get the wood as fresh looking as possible. My best advise here is sand, sand, and sand some more. When you think you sanded enough, go sand it more.
Stain!
I carefully stained the piece. I used a grain defining stain. Because of the variation of types of wood it gave a variation in color I was happy with. I did all the same steps with the topper that holds the mirror.
Found this stamped on the mirrors!
The stamp says "Galax Va.", can't read the middle, and 1942. Which I'm assuming dates the piece to 1942.
I used 4 coats of premium satin finish polyurethane. And used a little Brasso to clean the handles.
Finished!
I'm so delighted with the outcome! Over 100 hours of blood, sweat, and tears.
Before and after side by side.

23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors

• D

Lovely. When removing the veneer, is there always quality wood underneath that will take stain nicely? My mom had a vanity just like this with a matching stool. My earliest memories are of her sitting at it powdering her nose, smiling at me. Thank you for your post, and for letting me see mom again today. Always missed.

• Sandra R

On antiques, yes. On reproductions, hit or miss.

• Sheri Johnson

All I can say, is WOW! Getting ready to start on a complete waterfall bedroom suit I just purchased. I don't know if I want to try to repair the veneer, strip it off and replace it, or do what you have done. I just don't know if my underlying plywood will have a grain that I will be happy with. Did you use stripper on the moldings or did you just sand them?

• Molly AuBuchon

I just sanded. It was quite a chore, but worked well. Plus it was free therapy, lol.

• Sandi

I have this vanity that has 4 drawers then 2 small extra smaller drawers dove with red & black stripes looks like the same as you have shown and a seat. Can you tell me if you are fa-miller

• Molly AuBuchon

I’m sorry, Sandi, I don’t think I’m familiar. Are you trying to refinish it?

• Morgan

That is beautiful. I have one, I may try this. Thank you for sharing.

• Dedra

It is beautiful. I have one also. Mine was in good shape. I left it just like it was. Love mine. You done such a good job on yours.