How to get my ac to blow air through the vents?

+7

I asked for advice on trying to fix my ac outside unit because the fan outside is running when I turn it on but no air is blowing through the vents inside. I received a lot of advice on things to try and did them all,none worked. I had a new conducted put on and still nothing. I was to to try putting some antifreeze in it. Does anyone know if this will work ?

• Betsy Betsy on Mar 11, 2019

Hi Debbie: Did you turn your furnace from the winter to the summer heating setting? I know it sounds silly, but check the thermostat and be sure that it's on air and not heat. If all else fails, you may have to call the person who put on the new condenser and see if they can help. Good luck.

• See 1 previous
    • Betsy Betsy on Mar 11, 2019

Hmmm, sounds like something is blocking the access, like a squirrel or mouse nest. Squeeze the tubing that goes from the ac into the house and see if it bends in some places and not in another. If it does that, then maybe you have a nest in the tube. Mine is a black tube and is hard to squeeze, but it does squeeze. Or, if you have someone handy around, maybe they can take the tube off and check. It should be attached with hose clamps, those things that look like a strip of metal ribbon with holes and you turn a screw to tighten or loosen them. I'm hoping that's your problem, it's an easy fix:)

• Sharonnf7 Sharonnf7 on Mar 11, 2019

My ac quit cooling a few years ago and it needed antifreeze but the fan was still blowing but it was hot air. I don't know why your fan won't work. I will try to remember to ask my son he does that for a living.

• William William on Mar 11, 2019

AC units don't take any any anti freeze. They use Freon and that is not a DIY. If no air is blowing out of the vents then there is something wrong with the inside unit. The blower motor may be shot, control board may be bad, relay may be bad or stuck. Temperature sensor/sensors may be bad. You need a pro out there to service and check everything out.

• Debbie Tyner Debbie Tyner on Mar 11, 2019

I meant Freon, I heard you could buy it and put it in myself. Does anyone know if this is true?

• Maynard Maynard on Mar 11, 2019

The DIY thing is for cars, not home units. William is 100% correct in saying you need professional help. Altho the fact that you get nothing coming from your vents points at a combination of things, lack of coolant, and no air being circulated thru your inside unit. Do you have forced air heat that works normally? If so, the problem is not your blower, as the same unit pushes both hot and cold air. This would lead one to look at the electronics. Not knowing where you live, it's difficult to pin this down. Bottom line, you need to contact a profesional HVAC service company in your area. Call around and get service call estimates, but also get advice on who to trust. Cheaper is not necessarily better.