Sherrie S
Sherrie S
  • Debary, FL
Asked on Jun 23, 2012

Pond Plant - what is it?

Sherrie SlabodaGailCherie
+33

Plant in pot in waterfall
The plant is growing
The plant is growing
  • Sherrie S

I bought this at the Volusia Fair. It was the end of the day & the lady wanted to get rid of some pond plants. This is the plant.

• Cecilia D

What a beautiful plant...I'd so much would like to grow the same in a garden....Thank you for sharing, namaste

Whatever it is, Sherrie, it is perfect for that spot.

• Becky H

Sherrie, is this growing on a piece of wood?

• Walter Reeves

the leaves look like creeping mimosa...Mimosa pudica do they curl up when you touch them?

• Sherrie S

Becky H, it is in water on rocks & some media in a little pot. Walter it does not do anything when touched. I have a Mimosa pudica with the pink flowers and it grows like crazy. This listed plant is growing in water and is not the same plant. Douglas, I bought it at the Volusia plant fair from one of the vendors selling pond plants. I should have asked questions but she was packing up.

• Becky H

Was just wondering; we have a fern that grows on tree bark that has a very similar leaf shape.

• Sherrie S

Becky H, maybe Douglas H can tell me what pond person was at the Volusia plant fair & then I can contact that person. Hey Douglas do you have a list of the vendors with pond plants that were at the fair? I think there was only one.

• Sherrie S

Becky H, can you send a picture of your plant? I don't know what this plant is capable of. All I know is it is a pond plant and in water.

• C. R

Hello, it could be either Leucaena leucocephala or a Mimosa Pigra (if it is......it is said to be very invasive.)

• Becky H

Sherrie, that pic. won't be forthcoming immediately. As you know, we've been getting a deluge over the past 3 days. When it stops, I'll try to provide.

Sherrie, I think I can find the person for you but I may not be able to until I get back to the States on the Fourth of July. She's a Volusia County Master Gardener.

• Cynthia B

This is my mimosa growing along my arroyo. I looks similar, but not exact.

• Sherrie S

C.R. I have the "normal" mimosa with the pink flowers and it is different than the pond plant. However, they look very much alike. Becky H I'm enjoying & thankful for the rain. Douglas H, I knew you wouldn't let me down. She will know what it is. Thank you all for the help. I do appreciate it very much.

• Jeanette S

I don't know the name of this but it grows everywhere...very invasive!

• Becky H

Sherrie, does this look about the same as what you have?

, Is this the same
  • Becky H

I just answered my own question, by comparing the two, and they're not the same.

• Sherrie S

Becky H, I am so lucky because Douglas H knows the Volusia County Master Gardener that sold it. I met Douglas at the Volusia Fair and I am so glad. I will get an answer that is absolutely correct soon.

• Becky H

Hurray for Douglas!! What would we do without him?!

Sherrie, the seller identifies your plant as water mimosa, Neptunia oleracea. She says the leaves should curl up when you touch them, just like a regular mimosa. Expect yellow flowers, followed by flat fruit. You may see a white spongy air-conducting tissue forming. This is natural, and helps to give the plant buoyancy. Can be considered invasive in some areas, but Zone 9 is the northern limit of its range.

• Sherrie S

Douglas, Walter R said it was a creeping mimosa and its leaves curled when touched. You guys are great. After reading about it I think I'll keep it confined to an area I can control in the waterway to the pond but not in the pond. If this is anything like pink mimosa - it needs control. By the way does anyone know a good Anacharis vendor?

• Walter Reeves

Douglas get the prize....I was thinking of Mimosa pudica.

• Sherrie S

I am willing to give both of you prizes. Thank you so much.

• Cecilia D

Thank you everybody for these good answer Wishing you a very pleasant day

• Cherie

In St Louis we called this sensitive fern! It is very invasive so I was glad to leave it behind when we moved to Texas!

• Sherrie S

@Cherie I watched it for awhile and then destroyed it. That thing was a monster in a short time. I put it in the composter where it couldn't get out alive.

• Cherie

Good for you! Compost is where so many "things" really belong, especially an invasive plant like this. At least in the compost, it will do you some good!!

• Sherrie Slaboda

Any suggestions on good pond plants. I just expanded my pond and need ideas.

• Cherie

I love water iris, they come in a variety of colors, plus you can also use regular (the type that you plant) Canna - I use the miniature variety. And, of course, water lilies! And lotus, if you have room. We also have Pickerel Rush, very pretty spikes of purple flowers and medium size leaves. Water lettuce floats on top and just adds green color, but fish love it. We have also added Taro, looks like Elephant ear. If you have fish, as we do, you might need to protect the roots of your plants by putting them in an enclosure. We found the perfect things in ceramic chimney flues! They stand about 2 ft high and protect the roots very well! With you being in Florida, many things will grow and flourish in your pond. We have 5 or 6 if you count our little bitty one. If you have fish, you may also experience Heron coming to feed on them. We don't have a solution to them yet, but our valuable Koi are under a canopy and close to the house! We lost almost 15 fish to those birds before realizing they were feeding at our expense! It gets so hot here in Texas, as I know it does in Florida, so water gardening can be a real joy! I used to get in our largest pond until I saw a snake in it. So I got long gloves! Fun!

• Sherrie Slaboda

@Cherie I found everything that grows in Texas does well in Florida. I have a lot of water lilies despite the Koi beating them up - the lilies are now enclosed. I also have Taro and love the look. Water lettuce is very pretty but illegal here. Heron are a horrible problem. I recently had 17" stone walls built around the entire pond and that helped but the bog area did not have the same walls and that Heron got another Koi today. My Koi are so large that he could only grab them and drop them. We will be working on the bog area to see if that stops him. I will be looking up Pickerel Rush today. Thank you for your post.

• Cherie

Sherrie - Oh, I'm sorry you're having that problem with the Heron also!!! Our Koi are very large also, but the ones they got were the babies (about 6" or less). We also had a catfish that either a Heron or raccoon tried to get him (he was large) and took a bite all the way to his backbone! We didn't know what to do with him so we left him alone and, believe it or not, he healed over. He did eventually die, but it was 2 or 3 years later. What we did with the Heron is put chicken wire over the top of one pond that had the babies - it's made of wood with a liner so it was easy. Doesn't look pretty, but it saves the little ones! Funny that lettuce is illegal there, here we can't have Hyacinth! Probably can't there either but it is so pretty!

• Sherrie Slaboda

@Cherie I had bird netting over the pond before the expansion but I hated it. My KOI are huge but the heron can grab one and drop it. I have security cameras so I can review where he goes and how he attacks. I love Hyacinth and it, too, is illegal here. Yesterday we did string fish line along the perimeter. This is war - human against heron.

• Gail

I guess this a very old post but that picture is a Sensitive Plant the leaves close when touched and will produce a flower. My pond place sells them but being in Western NY they only live for the summer. Also as far as problems with Herons I purchased a very realistic looking heron decoy from Cabelas sporting and move it around occasionally and don't have heron problems anymore. .

• Sherrie Slaboda

Thank you Gail but that plant is invasive here in Florida.

• Gail

@Sherrie Slaboda The only thing I buy for my pond are the water hyacinths which of course only last through the summer and I pull out in the fall, my water lilies and iris are planted right in my pond.

, My pond this yea r I ve had probably over 25 different lily blooms the hyacinths which are in the ring have now spread over the edges and I ve had to pull some out so I have a spot to feed the fish
  • Sherrie Slaboda

@Gail I sure do love hyacinths but they are illegal here in Florida. I had them and water lettuce, too, but both are illegal. Your water lilies are beautiful. I'm having a hard time with water lilies because my big Koi eat them.