DIY Basic Clay Pot and Saucer Bird Feeder

The other day my good neighbor and friend walked by my house and stopped to ask me if I could build her a 'simple bird feeder'. I said sure I could- since I have already built her bird houses and a potting bench for her yard and garden. She added that she searched the stores and all she could find was 'cheap plastic ones'. I told her to give a me a few days and I will come up with something...
and so that
garden ideas clay pot bird feeder, crafts, gardening
simple and basic. It is heavy so be sure to hang from a strong bracket
6" clay pot and saucer & 9/10" clay saucer
Home Depot had this Rigid diamond bit hole saw for $15! What a steal and this will go through tile, slate, glass, clay pots, etc so I have many more projects to come up with! The smaller masonry bit is slightly larger than the eye bolt.
Need to find center.
Drill center in both saucers and 3 drain holes in the large saucer for drainage. I used the 1/2" hole saw for making 3 holes in the bottom of the clay pot for the bird seed to come out. Keep the pots wet and dripping water while you are drilling. Go slow!
I cut the wire about 18" and then twist tightly
Twist it tight
Then slide the wire through the 6" saucer for the lid
Be sure to twist tightly on the S hook and then take the pliers to pinch the end together to keep the wire in the hook
I put about 1/2" of water in the saucers and drilled the holes. Water is used to cool the drill bit down. If you hold the saucer just right the water stays in the saucer
fill with bird seed
The Garden Frog with C Renee

• Ruth

What did you use to drill the holes in the pot that allows the seed to spill out into the saucer?

• Tom
      5 hours ago

I use diamond hole saw and masonry bits. Just make sure you drill slow and use water to cool bit and saw.

• Elle

do you have a picture showing how the washers are used and also how the pot is attached to the bottom saucer? This is a great idea, thanks so much for sharing. I have a squirrel that keeps chewing up my plastic feeders.

• Paulette krikken
    6 hours ago

why does my elvira plants gets brown tips