Betty Shue
Betty Shue
  • Greenwood, IN
Asked 6 days ago

How to get rid of ivy in my garden?

EllisBetsyLynn Sorrell
+2

This ivy has taken over my garden and I cannot get rid of it,I have tried and I do not want to lose the flower bulbs in the garden.

• Mogie

There really is no easy way to get rid of ivy. The leaves have a waxy coating that repels anything they are sprayed with. Thanks to my neighbors I had a huge problem with ivy. Found the best way to get rid of it is to pull it. But you have to get the runners underground as well as what you can see. And you will need to repeat this process for a few years. After 3 years we are finally ivy free.

• Lynn Sorrell

cut it back to main stalk/stem coming out of ground let it grow a few leaves then spray leaves with Round-Up add food coloring to Round-Up so you can see where you are spraying. Spray low down & concentrated directly to the ivy leaves.Round-Up works by absorbing thru leaves into plant then root system killing plant. It won't affect any other plants unless you get it directly on them.Any woody stalked plant is extremely hard to be rid of. Stay out of spray when it's wet,use disposable gloves,do not spray in any wind/breeze.Many people refuse to use or suggest use of Round-Up due to the lawsuits and it being a harmful chemical. I was landscaper/gardener over 20 yrs had special permits, had to go to special classes to use it, then it was put on consumer market, I knew way back it is hazardous & it says so as many things in our society are Paint,Paint strippers,KrudKutter,TSP,the pesticides we put on pets or feed them for heartworm, flea,mosquito,tick control;just use it with caution, use it to be rid of ivy and be done with it,follow the safety instructions. Or you can try the other suggestions you will be getting.

2 hours ago

Hi Betty: Get a product called ground clear, it kills everything! Then, put some in a small can and paint the undersides of the leaves with this, using a small foam brush. Be sure not to get the ground clear on anything else. The plant will take the poison to the roots, through the leaves, and kill just this plant - if you are careful not to get the ground clear on anything else. You can use this method on any plant you want to get rid of. If you are worried about the leaves touching your other plants, cut the unwanted plant short, leaving several leaves, paint the leaves with the ground clear and then cover it with a plastic bag and secure it to the ground. That way, even the wind won't blow the poisoned vine onto your other plants. Good luck with this, invasive plants are the worst!

• Ellis
    30 minutes ago

If you don't like the idea of spraying Round-up or products like it, get a cheap paint brush and paint the chemical on to the leaves of the ivy. It will work, and you won't have overspray. Be sure to throw away the paint brush when you're through.