Create a Colorful DIY Button Wreath

$6

I scored a large lot of buttons from my local thrift store, and since I've never made a button wreath I thought it was time I gave it a go.

I grabbed a 12" styrofoam wreath form from my craft stash, and my buttons. I organized my buttons into colors first so I could see what I had to work with.

Using my hot glue gun I started attaching white and cream buttons as a base for my colored buttons.

You could certainly do the whole thing in whites and creams if that's what you love, but I need color in my life so I kept on going.

TIP: Using a lazy susan for smaller projects like this makes it so easy to work on all sides.

Once I had my base I started adding colored buttons here and there, just doing it by eye really.

And here's my finished wreath. It's so fun and colorful.

To add a wintery touch I pinned a fun white glittery garland to the back of the wreath. This can easily be removed when I want a change. This is totally optional.

Now I'm not going to lie, this project took me a long time, because working with buttons with raised posts can be quite a challenge. I broke the time up over a few afternoons.

But I'm so pleased with the results. It's very bright and cheerful.

You'll find a lot more info, pics, and tips about how to make this wreath on my blog so please check out How To Make a DIY Button Wreath.

Color Me Thrifty

• Lori

Very different and lovely. To do a changeup you could add a bow to match any of the colors of the buttons. My question, where can you get buttons other than a thrift store - can they be ordered online? Thanks for any info.

• Lisa

Also look for them at garage sales...... my mom would take buttons off any shirt, pants, dress, coat anything when it was either worn out or ready to be cut up into rags..... yes, she went thru the depression, and part of the things she did i still do today, but for projects like this i could probably do 75 of them and still have buttons!!!

So when people have sales, they will sell buttons too.