Create a Colorful DIY Button Wreath

$6

I scored a large lot of buttons from my local thrift store, and since I've never made a button wreath I thought it was time I gave it a go.

create a colorful diy button wreath

I grabbed a 12" styrofoam wreath form from my craft stash, and my buttons. I organized my buttons into colors first so I could see what I had to work with.

create a colorful diy button wreath

Using my hot glue gun I started attaching white and cream buttons as a base for my colored buttons.

You could certainly do the whole thing in whites and creams if that's what you love, but I need color in my life so I kept on going.

TIP: Using a lazy susan for smaller projects like this makes it so easy to work on all sides.

create a colorful diy button wreath

Once I had my base I started adding colored buttons here and there, just doing it by eye really.

create a colorful diy button wreath

And here's my finished wreath. It's so fun and colorful.

create a colorful diy button wreath

To add a wintery touch I pinned a fun white glittery garland to the back of the wreath. This can easily be removed when I want a change. This is totally optional.

Now I'm not going to lie, this project took me a long time, because working with buttons with raised posts can be quite a challenge. I broke the time up over a few afternoons.

But I'm so pleased with the results. It's very bright and cheerful.

You'll find a lot more info, pics, and tips about how to make this wreath on my blog so please check out How To Make a DIY Button Wreath.

Tuula @ Color Me Thrifty

• Lori

Very different and lovely. To do a changeup you could add a bow to match any of the colors of the buttons. My question, where can you get buttons other than a thrift store - can they be ordered online? Thanks for any info.

• S Davis

I posted a plea to all my contacts on Facebook and am starting to receive oodles of buttons from them. So excited to do this project.