How to Create DIY Repurposed Garden Tulips

$18

I love creating flowers for my garden by repurposing things. It's fun to have little surprises tucked away here and there.

For my diy tulips all I needed was some gutter leaf strainers that I found at my local home improvement store, and some egg beaters which I found at my local thrift store.

In case you've never heard of them gutter leaf strainers, sometimes also called gutter guards, are used in the top of a downspout to stop large leaves from getting in and causing clogs.

Using some spray paint that I already had I spray painted the leaf strainers hot pink and the egg beaters a sunny yellow.

Then I grabbed some extra 1/2" PVC pipe that I had and I cut it into various lengths for stems using a mitre box and saw.

I spray painted the pipe stems green.

The egg beaters fit through the holes in the bottom of the leaf strainers, and then the egg beaters slip right into the pipe stems.

The protruding things on the egg beater stems fit so nice and snug in the pipe that the tulips don't move at all. Even in the wind!

These tulips could be so easily customized for your own gardens depending on what colors you choose. It took me about 2 hours to create these because of spray paint drying time.

For more details, pics, and tips for this project please check out How To Make DIY Repurposed Tulips on my blog.

If you enjoyed this project you can find more repurposed flowers projects here on my blog.

Color Me Thrifty

• Linda Abate

Such a creative idea. Just another idea, could you use battery operated tea lights in the center instead of the beater? Definitely a cute way to dress up a garden.

• Dianna

I have look everywhere for that type gutter leaf strainer. The only one available is something very flimsy and doesn’t work well. Can I ask where you got yours

• Color Me Thrifty

Hi Dianna! I live in Ontario Canada and I got mine at my local Home Hardware Building Centre.

• Dianna

Can I ask the name of hardware store.

• Dianna

Also checked out your store and they only carry the one we have. Not as nice. But I’m going to keep looking