How to Create DIY Repurposed Garden Tulips

$18

I love creating flowers for my garden by repurposing things. It's fun to have little surprises tucked away here and there.

how to create diy repurposed garden tulips

For my diy tulips all I needed was some gutter leaf strainers that I found at my local home improvement store, and some egg beaters which I found at my local thrift store.

In case you've never heard of them gutter leaf strainers, sometimes also called gutter guards, are used in the top of a downspout to stop large leaves from getting in and causing clogs.

Using some spray paint that I already had I spray painted the leaf strainers hot pink and the egg beaters a sunny yellow. I

Then I grabbed some extra 1/2" PVC pipe that I had and I cut it into various lengths for stems using a mitre box and saw.

I spray painted the pipe stems green.

The egg beaters fit through the holes in the bottom of the leaf strainers, and then the egg beaters slip right into the pipe stems.

The protruding things on the egg beater stems fit so nice and snug in the pipe that the tulips don't move at all. Even in the wind!

These tulips could be so easily customized for your own gardens depending on what colors you choose. It took me about 2 hours to create these because of spray paint drying time.

For more details, pics, and tips for this project please check out How To Make DIY Repurposed Tulips on my blog.

Tuula @ Color Me Thrifty

• Bry

Your leaf strainers look different from any I've found in my online search. I mostly see mesh ones out there. Where did you find yours? Did you cut any wires away to make yours tulip shaped? They really have a floral look to them. Love your idea.

UPDATE: Thanks to all who found the leaf strainers as pictured and sent links.

• Seajay

The 3 vs 4 wire is how wide the circle is on the corner of your gutter where these are placed.

• Jerrie Wyatt

What do these leaf strainers look like before you make them into flowers ? .. i’ve never seen any that you can do that with

• Tuula @ Color Me Thrifty

The ones I used look exactly like they do in first picture. That's how I found them. I would ask at your local home improvement store. They may not have the identical ones, but might have something similar.

• Kay

I would love to see the finished product?

• Kati Hanson

💝

• Anita

I love this idea! I see tons of dyi’s but in fact have only done one so far this will be my #2! Love the color scheme you chose also so bright and happy looking