Asked 4 days ago

Does anyone know what the name of this weed is?

LDYSUboxerSS
+19

This weed has overtaken one of my garden borders. It spreads with underground runners and is almost impossible to control because it grows so close to the crown of plants, like this iris patch.

Do any of you know the name of it?

Thanks!

q does anyone know what the name of this weed is
  • Ginger

Do you ever find little white flowers on it at times? If so it is chickweed

• Jjh32205830

This is sorrel it has stringy roots that run horizontally just under the surface and should come up easily with hand weeding. It is also edible.

• Ginger

Round up is one of the worst ones to use. It is all over the television on how it has caused cancer. I myself had gotten asthma from it many years ago. Please use anything else but Round up!

• Sharon B

Sorrel has thorns.

• George

I don't know your home state but you must have some college that teaches horticulture and agriculture. Here in Oregon I would send a sample of whatever plant I was curious about to Univ of Oregon. They are delighted to respond to challenges like this.

• Jillaine Comardo

Dig it up and have a stir fry! Dont take a chance on killing your Irises with chemicals..even vinegar cold get to the rhizomes which run horizontally

• Joyceawhitt

Please remember that when you poison weeds you are also harming honey bees and they in turn bring the poison the hive. Blossoms on weeds are the first food that the bees get after a long winter, and they start foraging as soon as it warms up. Honey bees are dying off at an unbelievable rate. Some people think they don't need bees but without them chances are we won't be getting many vegetables in our gardens.

• Joyceawhitt
      31 minutes ago

My dad is down from 60 hives to about 20 and he lives in an area without so much spraying. The heat last year prevented anything from blooming, his first year having nothing to sell and has been feeding them constantly since then. Let's hope for the best this year! I hope that your bees thrive this year!

• Diane

I don’t know but seek a professional before you just try to eat it please

• Hi Carol - I've been a fan of your blog for a few years now. I sort of have you up on a pedestal and thought you knew everything about gardening. Just kidding... I don't know what your weed is, but you probably already know you'll just have to pull it by hand. Honestly, I wish I could come and help you, because right now my gardens are buried under 2 feet of slushy snow. Happy gardening!

• SS

It looks like spurge to me.

• YSUboxer

Looks like it could be Bermuda Grass.

• LD

I have these in my flowerbed in NC. I have always thought it is in the carpet grass family, but don't if I heard this as a child or if I just assumed it, since it seems as thick as carpet.