Estelle
Estelle
  • Venice, FL
Asked 8 days ago

What is this plant?

Deborah MillerCaroleOberlinmom
+12

I was given this plant (tiny clipping). It is suppose to attract hummingbirds. I thought it was a vine. This is the second year of growth.

q what is this plant
q what is this plant
q what is this plant
  • Beth

Has it flowered at all? I imagine the flowers would help you to identify it and would also be the part that would attract the hummingbirds, so they could drink the nectar.

• Sharon Gott Griffin

Yes ,that is what it is and if you have pets or small children I would remove it immediately .You never know what they will put in their mouths and the blossoms are very inviting.

• Lynn Sorrell

My middle name is Estelle----Looks like Brugmansia/Angel Trumpet . they can be trained to grow in shrub or tree form. probably red or purple becsause of base of leaf color, They are from the Datura Family of plants highly toxic/poisonous "Ingestion of Angel's Trumpet flowers or a tea brewed from them results in an alkaloid-induced central nervous system anticholinergic syndrome characterized by symptoms such as fever, delirium, hallucinations, agitation, and persistent memory disturbances. Severe intoxication may cause flaccid paralysis, convulsions, and death."

• Linda

It’s a hummingbird vine it’s also called the angels trumpet because if you injest any part of it you can die from it

• Sharmon Gasparovich

Also very strong and invasive. Have seen trees killed by the overgrowth and power lines pulled over.

• Burkey

Japanese knotweed ..... will take over and get into foundations . Very hard to kill it .

• Henriette Hall

I have Datura/Brugmansia/trumpet growing in many areas and have for 50+ years-Could this possibly be a pineapple sage? Or knotweed as Burkey mentioned? OR--I am in the Coastal South--I know we all have different and sometimes inconsistent names for horticulture. Trumpet is so beautiful--mine is still blooming........good luck to you

• Janet Sears

Knotweed

• Larry

Rhubarb

• Cra14058849

Don't know about Florida, but here in Michigan that plant is on the invasive species list. It's Japanese Knotweed and look out!! It's very, very invasive. It forms dense thickets that overtake other vegetation, has horizontal roots that can push through pavement and cause structural damage to buildings and any tiny fragments of stems or roots can produce many new plants. Please! contact your local Conservation District to have it eradicated. Conservation districts have the appropriate herbicides to get rid of it, because the everyday public cannot purchase them as you need to be licensed to use the correct herbicide. Good luck, call the conservation district a.s.a.p.

• Oberlinmom

I'd take a leaf into a farm bureau or even a plant shop. I looked on line, and I think your leaf looks rougher than the knot weed pictures. Love Lies Bleeding a type of Amaranthus looks like it might be your plant. In the north it would be an annual but where you are it could be a perennial.

• Carole

This looks exactly like my love lies bleeding, it grows quick and it's beautiful!! Butterflies and humming birds galore!!

• Deborah Miller
    30 minutes ago

Violet