Amy Farrell
Amy Farrell
  • Fort Dodge, IA

Coffee Bar

$150

I’ve been wanting a coffee bar in my kitchen for quite some time. Once I found the side table I wanted the rest was a piece of cake. This before and after transformation was rather simple but makes a huge impact.

coffee bar

Here is what the area looked like beforehand (during Christmas) Although I really liked this look I’m much more happier with the open shelves and coffee bar!

coffee bar

We started by hanging the shelf brackets where I wanted the bottom shelf and then lined up how far apart I wanted the top shelf to be. To be on the safe side I always use a level when hanging things. It was also important that at least one bracket from each shelf was anchored into a stud for stability.

coffee bar

Once all the brackets are secured and lined up we sat the shelves on the brackets unscrewed and made sure they were lined up. We actually ended up using a long picture off my wall because our long level was in our camper from another project that we’re working on. But, hey, it did the job! sometimes you have to think out of the box when doing your DIY!

coffee bar

Now that everything is lined up we simply screwed the shelving to the brackets.

coffee bar

And there you have it!

The hardest part in this project for me was picking out what materials I wanted to use. I ended up going with an engineered wood for our shelving because the finish matched the side table so perfectly that I wasn’t sure I could do better at matching it if I stained it myself.

coffee bar

Here is the finished look. I’m so pleased with how this area turned out. It was so simple to hang a couple of open shelves. I now have an area that has a purpose and looks amazing.

• Barbara

LOVE the table you used for this!! Is this an old/heirloom piece, or did you buy it? If so, would you mind sharing where you found it?? I'd love to have a piece like this in my dining area!! (PS: GREAT job on switching out to your new coffee area - looks awesome!!) Thanks ;)

• Shelly Moore

If you are hanging the rug vertically, use two pieces of wood about 1" × 2" × 7 ' (if you hang it horizontal you will need 2- 10 ft boards) either put grommets in the edge of the rug and run rope through it and around the pieces of wood all across the top.

Or fold about 3-5 inches of the end of rug you are hanging over the back piece of wood then put the other piece of wood on the top of material, then use screws to screw the two pieces of wood together, or use bolts and nuts that can be tightened and removed for cleaning or replacing the rug. You could put two matching pieces of wood at the bottom too if desired. Paint, stain, use washi tape or wallpaper to cover the wood depending on your style. You can also hang material over the front piece of wood, then put back piece together so fringe hangs behind and covers the wood frame. You can attach hangar wood with screws. You can stain or paint the wood, use black industrial screws or use a wooden plug or other small decorative wood piece to cover screws. I have also for lightweight wallhangings, I've just hotglued the top of the material to a dowel rod, or hem a little place for dowel to slide through. Tie a longer piece of rope, wire or ribbon to each end and hang.

• Beth

This turned out so lovely!! Where did you get the wire baskets??

• Stephanie Rountree

Fab job! What will you put in the baskets?

• Amy Farrell

I put my fruits and veggies in them again (like my before picture) only until I figure out where else I can store them. Then I plan to put my cookbooks, cloth napkins, seasonal cups and such in them. I LOVE table settings!

• Linda Abate

Quite an eye catcher and who doesn't need a great cup of coffee especially first thing in the morning. It looks great, the shelves up above are awesome for showing off some of your favorite things and love the baskets underneath. A job worthy of lots of compliments.

• Dottie Shannon

What a cute idea and so professional looking!