Sue Eldred
Sue Eldred
  • Washington, IL

DIY Upcycled Sweater Pillow

$20

When your favorite Cashmere Sweater has a hole in it you make it into something new.

diy upcycled sweater pillow

DIY Upcycled Sweater Pillow

diy upcycled sweater pillow

I was pretty bummed when I found out my favorite sweater had a hole in it. My first instinct was to throw it in the garbage.

After retrieving my sweater from the throw away pile…I decided to make it into a super soft pillow instead.

diy upcycled sweater pillow

To make the DIY Sweater Pillow I used:                 (*affiliate link)

diy upcycled sweater pillow

DIY Upcycled Sweater Pillow

Directions:

1. Turn the sweater inside out. Line up the pillow form with the sweater to determine best placement to hide the holes.
  2. For my sweater, since the holes were on one side…I decided to sew the bottom of the sweater together first and insert the pillow to determine how much I needed to cut off the other side.
  3. Cut the sweater slightly larger than the pillow form.
  4. Remove pillow form and sew second side together.
diy upcycled sweater pillow

5. To Personalize my pillow…Turn sweater back to right sides and iron the Joy Iron-On Embroidered Letters. Cover letters with a clean soft cloth and iron the letters for 30 seconds. Turn sweater pillow cover inside out, cover with cloth and iron for and additional 30 seconds. Allow letters to cool before finishing the pillow.  

diy upcycled sweater pillow

6. Because there is a lot of give with the sweater material. I was able to sew the 4th side halfway and stuff the pillow form inside. I hand sewed the pillow closed.

diy upcycled sweater pillow

7. To dress up the pillow…I created a sash to go around the pillow by sewing together flannel scraps.

diy upcycled sweater pillow

8. Secure the sash around the pillow using a couple of big black buttons.

diy upcycled sweater pillow

The pillow is perfect for marking my spot on my favorite comfy chair.

Sue Eldred